News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Double Doodie / Wag Bags

Started by CapnK, November 26, 2009, 01:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

My Porta Potti kinda went broke - the seal at the bottom of the bowl will slowly leak any leftover water down into the tank, which means that trouble is brewing if I keep on using it... ;)

I've heard people (including Tim) mention these products called 'Wag Bags" or "Double Doodie" bags, and have been meaning to try them out. I picked up a box (6 bags) this past week for 'testing'. So far, so good - except for the cost. The box states that you can get 3-4 uses per bag, and after 3-4 uses, I concur. ;) The 'product' ;D remained odor-free for the few days it took to use it completely.

They're basically 2 plastic bags, an interior one that is funnel shaped, and the exterior bag which has a double seal enclosure touted to be 'leakproof' (and you sure hope they're right!).

Inside the inner bag is a powder which soaks up moisture until it has expanded to ~several hundred times it's original size. I believe there are also some deodorants of some sort, and perhaps some enzymes to help break things down. Manufacturer claims that these will decompose in a matter of weeks or months once in a landfill.

Back to Price, though: using these works out to $2.00+ per bag, unless you buy over ~35-50 at a time, when the cost is still well north of a dollar. Of the two mentioned here, the "Double Doodie" brand is cheaper.

Looking at the things, I think that they can be made at home/boat for way less. I've found all the ingredients with the exception of the biodegradable bags (haven't looked for them yet, figuring they'll be fairly easy to find). Once I find those, I'll make up a batch and see how it works. Anyone else here tried the same, or know of any reports of anyone who has?

They do work well enough that if I can make them cheaply, I think I'll go this route for waste management when inshore. They are easier and less messy to deal with than a PortaPotti. Offshore, I'll just 'bucket and chuck it'.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Interesting. We're using a Porta-potti and have been made to fell "second class" when inquiring about emptying. We've found ONE place on the entire trip that was set up for them- Houma La city docks. Otherwise you have to kinda sneak into bathrooms to dump- or sail offshore.

Florida is well set up for emptying holding tanks, many spots are free. But I haven't figured out yet how to use the pumpout to empty a porta tank. Other than dumping into a bucket,, then pumping the bucket.

So it's a problem. Of course from here on out we'll be close to offshore so it won't be as hard. I'll be very interesterd in what you find
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

One thing we found with them is if they have to be stored used onboard for any length of time you should a good air tight container for them. We found them be a bit odererrific in a small boat like the Potter. On the Ariel they would be stored in the laz or other separate storage area.

I am still considering a separate head (composting or otherwise) as it is not always con\venient to stop and set something up inside especially when in a crowded anchorage.

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

CJ -

Here's a Google shopping link to the gel powder stuff from the manufacturer, so it already has enzymes and odor neutralizers, if you need it on the quick: http://tinyurl.com/yhakrzv

Still not super cheap just better. One of the places listed on that link has the 55 scoop container for $36 (1 scoop will hold 21 ozs liquid).

I've seen just the gel (no 'zymes, no odor reducer) that sells for as low as $6.95/lb (in a 10 lb quantity). Not sure if that's the 'green' stuff that biodegrades so quick.

Combine that with an enzyme/odor eater made for dog poo :) that costs $13.99 for a package they say will do a years worth of dog poo (about 12ozs), I think you'd have a lot of wag bags on the cheap...

Tim - I just did try/am in the process of using them, and the air is cooler now, but didn't notice much odor in the 3 days before I sealed the bag (I just folded over the top of the inner bag between uses, and didn't use it for just liquid output). That said, there's also been a fairly steady breeze here at the marina. ;D Q's: Was there a smell even after the outer bag is closed tight? How long did you store them? What were the ambient temps - summer hot?

I'm thinking I might make a permanent mounted box sized just-so for the bucket to reside in, complete with plushy soft toilet seat on top.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

To be honest I didn't notice it much at all, but the first mate who has a much more sensitive nose :) did (of course just between you and us there could have been a psychological factor).
Also her daughter who is a guide on Mt. Ranier told her they use them up on top and it reeks, of course quality control of use may be a factor.

This was after the outer bag was closed and they were stored close to a week. I think we both felt that if kept in a better container that was air tight it would have been fine.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Holy poop. ;D....all this "ZIP LOC" talk at thanksgiving should be about sealing up left over turkey   :o ;D ::)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Hey, you don't get no turkey you already had your Thanksgiving.  :P

Besides you'll be having Conch   ;D

W.A. Ward

CapnK

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Finally found a use for all those Walmart bags.   ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on November 26, 2009, 07:01:26 AM

But I haven't figured out yet how to use the pumpout to empty a porta tank. Other than dumping into a bucket,, then pumping the bucket.

Charlie, what brand porta potty do you have?

The Thetford MSD we have is an approved MSD and includes a fitting to rig for pump-out.  It is little more than a bit of pipe molded with threads to replace the normal holding tank cap.  There might be an intrinsic one-way vent as well...

So, I bet you could easily enough rig something to pump out that porta potty...at the very least, sell it and buy a Thetford.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Greenman

I wanted the best of all worlds (at least in my opinion), so I installed a Sealand MSD, it has a small holding tank, it can be pumped out, or overboard through a macerator, and it works great I think. Here it my set up. It would be very easy to add a secondary holding tank if I wanted, but this set up has worked very well for me so far.

1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

CharlieJ

We have a Thetford. I will certainly investigate that while we are in Texas during Dec. Thanks for the lead.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera