News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Short Shaft Outboard?

Started by unbusted67, December 04, 2009, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbusted67

Does anyone know if you can put a short shaft outboard on a transom bracket? Do those things get you low enough?

ThistleCap

In my experience, the answer would be no.  I bought Thistle, 25 ft., and she came with a stern bracket and 8 hp outboard.  When we launched her, I walked forward to take the bow line, and raised the stern enough to pull the water intake out of the water.  Before I could get back to the cockpit to shut it down, I had burned up the impeller.  I lived with that for a few months, having to work around never being able to go forward of the cockpit and sucking air in the wake of every stinkpot that went by, and finally bought a new long shaft, and also lowered the bracket.  There are still times in heavier seas when I can't use the outboard without the intake pulling out of the water in the trough, but the longshaft and lowering the bracket were the only things that made normal operation possible.  
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

s/v Faith

Quote from: unbusted67 on December 04, 2009, 06:04:31 PM
Does anyone know if you can put a short shaft outboard on a transom bracket? Do those things get you low enough?

Swing the bracket down.  Measure the distance from the top of the bracket plate (where the motor attaches) streight down to the surface of the water.  z

If the distance is less then 15" you should be ok with a short shaft.  If it is closer to 20' you need a regular/ long shaft.  If it is over 22" you need the extra long shaft (nominally 25")

Stepping up to the next length causes 2 things.  It can be an advantage, as the wheel sits a bit lower and is less likely to cavitate (especially when seas get rough).  It would also cause quite  a bit more drag while sailing.

THere are up sides and down sides to most things... outboards are no exception.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

ThistleCap

One other word on living with the outboard on the bracket that may or may not be of value to you.  I encountered two things.  One, the Mercury I got has a weakness in that the post that props the engine in the raised position has a rubber nipple on the end, and is intended for holding the engine up at rest--moored, docked, or anchored.  If the engine is left up underway, normal stresses of encountering wakes or waves forces the engine to fall with a nerve-shattering crash.  There is an expensive mechanical propping device that can be retrofitted.  Two, with the engine raised and the bracket also raised, the propeller and shaft were still low enough to scratch and gouge the dinghy whenever it drifted up astern.  I solved both problems by tying a stout cord around the shaft just below the power head.  When the bracket is raised, I loop the line up from the rear of the power head, raising the engine higher than the prop would allow for anyhow, and secure it to the stern pulpit.  This solved both problems, and has the added advantage of being strong enough that if the bracket, mounting pad, or anything else ever fail, the cord will keep boat and engine together. 
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.