News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Safety in the galley...

Started by saxon, January 23, 2010, 11:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saxon

I read all the advice about safety in the galley, fire blankets, fire extinguisher, gas alarms fitted, fiddles on the stove to stop pots and pans going airbourne etc: But for me it's got to include reading specs..

I was digging around under the settee berth where the canned food is stowed and found, Ah! Ha!  Spaghetti in tomato sauce. Squinted at the label..best before August 2009. Oh! well, it's not too far out of date so into the saucepan it went.

Clearing away afterwards I picked up the can to ditch it in the gash bag, this time wearing my reading specs and saw on the label...best before August 2007 :o  :D

Don't know how it escaped in the locker, must have got wedged at the back and rolled out just in time for tea..   I'm still here though so no ill effects... ;D
Do you know what you are talking about, or did you ask Mr Google...again?

Manannan

As long as the can is not rusty or swollen, there is no problem. 3 years is not that long, after 5 or more year, the taste probably is altered, but I do not think there is any risk for your health, or I should have been sick as a dog many time  ;D
Leaving always represents the same challenge to one's self : that of daring...

AdriftAtSea

manannan's got a very good point.  Do not open or use canned foods if the can is rusty or swollen.  If the vacuum seal is broken, it is a good idea to dump it as well.  When you open a can, you should hear a small inrush of air. If not... then you probably have a problem.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

I would not get too carried away with throwing out rusty cans.  Some rust is inevitable... at least on a small boat.  

Some ideas sound good in books but are impractical in real life (like dipping cans in paraffin wax)... sounds good when sitting in your study.... not so much when you row back into a rolly anchorage in the rain with a great big bunch of cans.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Let me clarify... if the exterior of the can is rusty, that may be okay.  If the interior of the can is rusty, that's a problem.  It means that oxygen has gotten to the interior... that's bad.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 23, 2010, 05:37:53 PM
Let me clarify... if the exterior of the can is rusty, that may be okay.  If the interior of the can is rusty, that's a problem.  It means that oxygen has gotten to the interior... that's bad.

Absolutely agree.  Makes it taste funny too....  ;)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Eating from rusty cans again... that explains sooooo much...  ;D ;D ;D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

saxon

[/quote]

Absolutely agree.  Makes it taste funny too....  ;)

Taste is no good as an indicator for me as to the condition of the food though!!!
'cos after I've cooked it,  just about everything tastes vile.. :D  :D  :D

saxon

I would agree about the pressure cooker, it's very useful. I'm not really too bad in the galley with the cooking, but  the pressure cooker and those "Cook in Sauces" certainly have improved the end results, taste wise, anyway.  :)