News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailer or sail

Started by Mario G, January 30, 2010, 11:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

I just  found the "bigger boat" that will be perfect for the Scoot, a Chrysler C-26 fix keel (this or nothing). And as timing has it in a few weeks I will be picking it up on the Va. coast and bringing it to NC. I can just sail it to Beaufort and find a place to dock it until April.  I figure I can tow in about 4 or 5 hours or take 4 days and sail. 

Would anyone be sailing in this area when I'm out there lost? Is it to early to be out there with just basics?   This would be a jump in feet first , first coastal run in new boat . (looks just like bigger version of my C-22.)

I'm more worried about towing then sailing.  I just wish I didn't send out my C-22 sails it be serviced just days before finding the C-26.

Captain Smollett

(1) You can anchor at Beaufort MUCH cheaper (ie, nothing) than you will find dockage for several months.  A lot of boats anchor on both Taylor Creek and Town Creek.

Or if you want to move "inland" a bit more, there is a fairly well sheltered anchorage on Adam's Creek just south of the Neuse River.

(2) When you say sail her down, do you mean offshore?  Not un-doable, but iffy this time of year (big blows offshore every 2-3 days) AND you have to go pretty wide around Hatteras.  I'm guessing since you said 4 days you mean ICW.

Also, I'm just curious...you been over this new-to-you boat with a fine enough comb to take her on a 700 ish mile offshore trip in April?  Not meaning to be a naysayer, just wondering about all the hidden surprises that come with buying a used boat.

Edit:  Check you PM's.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Oh don't miss the inshore opportunities afforded in NC!

It is a wonderful route from VA south... you would be missing some of the best of the ICW.

Granted it is a bit cold this time of year, but the great stops spaced at good intervals are too good to pass up.

I encourage you not to see this as a 'boat move' but as a mini-cruise. 

Here is a look at some of what I am talking about;

Delivering Ariel Spirit; Deale, MD to New River, NC
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Auspicious

If you have or can rent or borrow a decent tow vehicle I would recommend that. Get the boat home and spend time getting used to it there rather than on a passage, or even down the ICW. In fact, if you don't have an autopilot or crew I'd say *especially* down the ICW.

YMMV.

sail fast and eat well.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

lecker68

Mario as a fellow C-26 I would take the trip if weather was warmer but as of now I would put both on the back burner until you can shovel the white stuff off the boat and it would depend on how well you feel with the boat and navigation. When I got mine which is a swing keel as most boats you have to get to know the little things she likes and doesn't like.
Lyle
1980 Chrysler C-26
S/V My Getaway
Fair winds and Great sailing

newt

Mario- I recommend sailing it , but along the ICW. There are plenty of stretches which you can sail, and you need to get to know your boat. There will be a fair few things wrong with it, and you want to fix those things before offshore work.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Mario G

Thanks all for the great advise  I'm going to leave it at the marina until it gets warmer and I'm sure I'm ready to sail it down.  I wouldn't mind doing an off shore swing , LOL how far out to be on the other side of the  current stream?.  I still need a working OB before any  distance sailing.

Captain Smollett

Running from Virginia to Beaufort, the issue is not so much how far out is the Gulf Stream but moreso "how do I have get around Cape Hatteras/Diamond Shoals and Cape Lookout?"

The offshore trip from Cape May to Beaufort Inlet is approximately 320 nm.  From Mile 0 on the ICW near Norfolk to Beaufort is about 180 nm.

That is nearly doubling the distance of your trip.  If you end up having to motor for some reason, that would be more fuel burned.

Looking at probably at least 4 days either way; if singlehanding, the ICW is four days with some sleep each night, whereas offshore, that's four days of 'keeping a proper lookout.'   ;)

Also, if you think you might not be in that area again, as has been mentioned, that stretch of the ICW has a lot to offer both in terms of cultural and natural history.  Offshore, one wave pretty much looks like the others.

Not trying to talk you out of going offshore, just throwing in one way to look at the problem.  It sure is hard to beat great sailing on a clear, moonlit night on the ocean.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

mrb

I'm going to join the trailer or preferable water way crowd.  Offshore in a new to you boat on that coast is not advisable.  Now I've never sailed there but I have spent some time on or over that water while helping build light house at Frying Pan shoal and watched the old light ship take a pounding in a few storms.  Listen to the folks with local knowledge and check your boat over from keel bolts to top of mast.  Sounds like you plan on getting reliable engine, that's good, and keeping her in Va. till check out is good.    However when the time comes to make the trip wishing you a good voyage.

Melvin

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 10, 2010, 10:22:37 PM
Running from Virginia to Beaufort, the issue is not so much how far out is the Gulf Stream but moreso "how do I have get around Cape Hatteras/Diamond Shoals and Cape Lookout?"

The offshore trip from Cape May to Beaufort Inlet is approximately 320 nm.  From Mile 0 on the ICW near Norfolk to Beaufort is about 180 nm.

That is nearly doubling the distance of your trip.  If you end up having to motor for some reason, that would be more fuel burned.

Looking at probably at least 4 days either way; if singlehanding, the ICW is four days with some sleep each night, whereas offshore, that's four days of 'keeping a proper lookout.'   ;)

Also, if you think you might not be in that area again, as has been mentioned, that stretch of the ICW has a lot to offer both in terms of cultural and natural history.  Offshore, one wave pretty much looks like the others.

Not trying to talk you out of going offshore, just throwing in one way to look at the problem.  It sure is hard to beat great sailing on a clear, moonlit night on the ocean.

Okay.  Never mind...I'm an idiot.  That's what I get for 'multitasking' (posting while trying to solve another computer issue).

Cape May is NOT in Virginia.   ;D  Might explain the mileage difference.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Faith

Thats ok John, it is still good advice.

I really would recommend taking the ICW.  You are going to get plenty of sailing time on that trip, and you would be going off shore to avoid some really great places to stop.

Take a look at Delivering Ariel Spirit; Deale, MD to New River, NC
in Routes and Destinations
  I would say your decision to wait a bit so that you can avoid misery (wx related) is wise.  I would take your time and ENJOY the trip.  If the Dismal Swamp is open, take it.  Take a little time, it is a Sailboat! Enjoy! 

Mario G

The ICW seems like the way to go, Criag a mimic of your trip  would be a great adventure I'm sure and I'm sure won't be my only time that way due to having family to visit in the Baltimore area. (can't think of a better way to get there then sail)
As of now I have 2 problems  one is time I was hoping to spend at least a week on the new boat before the Scoot on April 10 th and I'm not sure the shop I handed my OB's to will have one ready any time soon. 

I'm going to play with the boat this weekend and see if its as easy to sail with out a motor as my C-22 is.

I could  up and buy another out board for the price of one months rental at the marina (I figure how it will happen) but I think any real money will be into converting to a diesel inboard conversion.

I'm not planning on treating my C-26 fix keel as a trailer sailor, I have the C-22 for that. The C-26 is going to be for my Semi-retirement -get away from all this white s#!*.  And to get out and meet great people like the ones here.
Thanks all for putting up with my ramblelings. The plans are now set just waiting for a little better weather.

Mario G

Maybe I should have trailered..lol   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry if the writting gets nuts but I'm still grasping our otting on the C-26

Let me start by saying what a grat well built boat it must be.

last friday the wife and I started out with just the day getting the boat ready to sail from Hampton Va to Bueafort NC.

Friday the Evinrude 9.9 was put on and tested along with new VHF radio -great all was set to sail out sunday morning with another sailboat that the so called more experianced owner thru the ICW. his boat had questionable rigging so he was going to have to motor the whole way were I wanted to sail as much as possible. We got as far as Norfolk and the active nave person not following channel markers grounded. And heres were the problems started. Not beliving in leaving anyone behind I tried pulling him only to have our motor die and not restart. So we sailed around waiting for help and after he was free he motored right on past with a "good luck there should be a marina around that can help you" 

being that it was getting late we stopped at a boat club and was welcomed like family. so ok all is good and we will start fresh in the morning, alone.
Things went well as can be expected, fair winds ,lots to see but not sure if the Dismal ditch was going to be the best path with out motor power so the North river route seemed to be more pratical...still ICW with draw bridges and a lock to deal with but hay we can't be the only ones to do this right.
Timming is everything when the current is with you and some of the bridges open on time schedules but being told we would need to motor to enter the lock made it interesting. Good thing it was a slow day at the lock and the operator was willing to work with us so we were able to continue on. All was well even thou we were way behind planned schedule untill we heard a storm was to come in around midnight. We changed plans and figured we would find dockage in Elizabath City, just a west ward heading from the end of the North river and up the channel.

Well thats when it hit , NOAA forcasted midnight and it was only 3:30 (what gives) in about 15 minutes the waves went from 1' to 3 or 4' and control got very difficult in less then an hour we were in 6' waves and turn north in the channel was impossible and heading south west in hope to get to the other side of the Abamarth (sp) sound seemed the only thing to do.

For about 4 hours I fought 65 mph gust and 10'waves trying to keep them on the transom. When it got to dark to see and hypothermia was setting in I told the wife to call the Coast Gaurd that I wasn't sure I was going to be-able to find safety. By the time The Coast Gaurd got to us the jib had shreaded and there was no way from being tossed around with zero visability. Yes I woundered if the boat was going to flip or hold together.

I can't thant the Coast Gaurd enough for comming to our rescue even thou I knew we had to be close to shore somewhere.

We found the boat the next morning in better to be expected shape with only one bumper missing and the sails shreaded even thu I had the already very used main down and tied. It sets at a marina a little shaken but stired.

s/v Faith

Wow, that sounds like quite a ride!

Glad no one was hurt.

Have you had a bit to come up with a list of "lessons learned"? 

Would you like some help?

CharlieJ

65 knot winds in Albemarle Sound???!!! Yowsers- I wouldn't try that in Tehani!!! I once sat 4 days in Manteo waiting for winds under 25 before I crossed the sound. And I was in 35 foot trimaran!!!

In fact the books tell you to stayoff Albemarle in anything over 30-35 unless you are in a full found ocean boat. It's a nasty body of water. Too bad you couldn't have anchored up at Buck Island, just north of the sound. Being safely anchored is WAY better than that.

Question- did the CG take you off and you found the boat next day? Or did they tow you? It's unclear to us what happened there.

Also- if that wife of yours went through that and is stiill ready to go sail, DO NOT let her get away!!! She a jewel like Laura.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mario G

Lesson 1) I have a great 1st mate I know she was real scared and held out as long as she could, and yes I plan on keeping her knowing she would follow me to the ends of the earth if that was my destination. She said she will never question my sailing abilities and that I should not regreat leaving the boat..just for her sake.

lesson 2) never trust the weather report ( wait I learned that years ago)

Lesson 3) I know that the Chrysler 26 is a great boat and I will never question its sea worthyness  if it wasn't for the cold I could have rode it out.  i'm sure looking at the charts and were we found the boat we were very close to shore.

Which leads to lesson 4  full cold weather gear  this was the storm that dumped inches of snow form where we left and was hitting me with sleet while tring to see the walls of water comming at us.

Lesson 5 Know who your sailing with< i had an off feeling from the other person from the start and should have gone with my instinct.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Mario G on March 05, 2010, 08:17:18 AM

Lesson 3) I know that the Chrysler 26 is a great boat and I will never question its sea worthyness  if it wasn't for the cold I could have rode it out.  i'm sure looking at the charts and were we found the boat we were very close to shore.

Mario, I am a little intrigued by that last statement.

Being close to shore in rough weather is usually not a good thing.  In bad weather, a lot of times, searoom is your friend.

That said, I agree with Charlie.  In hindsight (and I was not there, so this is in part an intellectual exercise), I think anchoring somewhere off the Sound* before the blow kicked in is the most conservative approach.

*  The NC Sounds are notorious for rough conditions, and it generally does not take a serious blow to kick 'em up.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

newt

Mario- I am glad you are safe and all involved are safe. Although I would not have wished this experience on you, you grew a lot during the storm. I am sure challenges such as navigation at night and going where you have never been make a lot more sense to you now.
That be what it may- how shredded in your Jib? I have just started to repair sails on a regular basis.  If you feel that it is worth saving- PM me and I will repair it for the cost of materials.
PS- I have been there too...

Mario G

Thank you very much Newt but it ripped the clew completely off and that ran up the lleech of the jib. If you would like some patch material I have plenty :P 
Is there a way to use a hanked jib on a furl?

we have been back to the boat and everything is well as can be expected.

By the lessons I mean , I will expect all that can go wrong and try to know what to do if and when it happens.  I didn't think I was going from one end of the spectrum to the other in the matter of minutes.   I have no problem with the outcome  The 1st mate just wants grab rails on the interior.

newt

You can take the foil off the ripped jib and put it on the hanked jib. Requires some work but doable. Handhold on the inside is a good thing. Now you see why we like cozy interiors...