News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

My master piece

Started by evantica, February 17, 2010, 04:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evantica

Godot. This made me think again about the gaffer...hm...I will have to learn more about this differnt riggs.. ANy usefull link/site on the "gaffer subject"????

I also think they look cool ;)

Godot

There's a really good book called the Gaff Rig Handbook which has pretty much all you need to know of the rig.

I'm hardly an expert.  My boat was a little 16 footer (19 overall) that I built a decade ago.  But it was a lot of fun, and the rig, though miniature, was not at all difficult to handle.  I made the sails out of a tarp like material.  Flat cut.  Very simple.  There is no backstay, and it seems to me that the shrouds and stays in general do not need to be anywhere near as tight as they are on a marconi rig, saving stress on the hull.  Like I said, at least the way I rigged it, there was only one additional halyard.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Oldrig

FWIW, I sailed gaff-rigged catboats for about 16 years and found the rig easy to handle and very adaptable. As a bonus, my artist wife said she prefers the look of a gaffer to a Marconi rig.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

evantica

Godot. Nice little boat you built! Yes I lerning day by day about gaffers...
check out (if you like my personal blogg) www.evantica.blogg.se Theres a new clip from today kind of horrible "scary stuff"

CapnK

Wow. Pretty crazy seas there at the end of the video!

Glad I don't have a keel that can take a wrap from the sea anchor - seeing as how that could sure complicate things, when you least want need it to!

Good to know he survived OK, after seeing those first pics of the boat covered in barneys...

Found some more info here: http://www.dommee.co.uk/news/#lostFootage

Grog for the find, Hakan!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

evantica

Yes I'm also glad he was found and alive. what a seastate... :o horrible!
Anyhow more of nicer things, today my welded hull arrived at my place, (I've build it at my brothers place) so... now I can get serious building progress, first of all have to do a cradle for her...

And Grog on you to CaptnK or as we sometimes say in Swe "Skal for fan"  ;D
(kind of "Cheers for the heck of it" :-\)

evantica

Finally comes the day when I'll buy my new "weldingmachine" tommorow, my lovely wifr will get me one :)... And I'll have to tell you the last couple of days I've been having a horrible toatache >:( >:( >:( :-X Will see the dentist also tommorow.. too bad I'm a bit scared :-\ soon I will start weld on my boat and one step nearer completion  :P

evantica

yes the welder is home! :) bought another one twice as expensive but twice as good! And my darn toath is better!

evantica

Hi there Haidan! I like your "approach" to metal boat building = don't worry too much, and some clever solutions very good!
1st. The welder is not a Plasma cutter!
2. about the deck /cabin. I'm not sure yet, but will probably build it in Wood/ plastic I guess. I don't want to much weight that high up, will be with steel?!
Ihave looked inte those "Origamiboats" (those without frames just longitudinals?!) if so... Nice looking boats!
Get back to you-sailfar-when I've tried the welder properly.
All the best friend!!! Hakan from Swe

evantica

Heres a bit of thinking.. ??? what do you say about just weld where the steelplates meet and NOT put in Longitudunals here (red arrow) what do you think?

evantica

Thanks Haidan appriciate it! And what nic elooking boat you have!!! I will keep on with my project. Anymore usefull tip? let me know! Appriciate it! cpt. Hakan

evantica

just have to! A friend of mine in sweden have built this over a 10 year period. check it out...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNE3Ufil1U

evantica

Fatastic Haidan what  a high speed :o  I really think those/ yours "Ogami boats" is a beautiful design! Cpt. Hakan

evantica

Today I got her up on her keel...

evantica

After sometimes thinking I decided to do my own "Building blogg site" for you to follow, of you like?! Can find it here...http://evantica.blogspot.com/
like to hear your oppinion about it! ,,, yes in English

evantica

Hi there. at the end of April the boatdesigner will arrive and do the math of my voyager...Then I will "get down to buisness" And start welding and construct. now I'm just waiting, not much I can do :( But.... I want to know how to calculate mast dimension???
boat size: 8,3 x 3,2 x 1,5 meters ca: 5 ton. anyone? looking for a gaffcutter wooden mast, bowsprit, bom etc.

evantica

Here she is...(when ready)

Oldrig

Ah, you did decide on a gaff rig.

She's a beauty--especially with the tanbark sails.

Nice work!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

I have a real soft spot for "gaffers". They are awesome on a close reach to a run and can carry sail longer with the shorter mast/lower sailplan. Real pretty too  ;)  Great choice.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

evantica