News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

My master piece

Started by evantica, February 17, 2010, 04:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Grog for posting the dome links - will be reading those - if I could find one just the right size, it would be worth it I think.

I'll pass on the smashed finger. OW! :)

And WRT Dio - wow. Makes me think - but, not as much as Ozzie does at the same news... ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

evantica

yes. this is what "he" looks like ;D With birthday present from my Wife in hand.
(Yes just got home from work ;))

Oldrig

Evantica,

Those Moitessier books are classics.

And, I feel your pain: I was using my table saw yesterday--a very old belt-driven machine that I inherited when my father-in-law died 20 years ago--and the wood kicked back at me. Sliced one fingertip through the nail bed, but not the bone. Now I'll have to wait a week or so before getting back on the water.

Nope: I didn't take pictures, but believe me, it's not pretty. But it isn't serious either.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

maxiSwede

Quote from: evantica on May 23, 2010, 08:25:22 AM
yes. this is what "he" looks like ;D With birthday present from my Wife in hand.
(Yes just got home from work ;))

Now that's great!  It's so important that she is positive and 'in it' together with you
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

evantica

Yes you're right maxiswe. But it's been kind of a struggle. She is not that fancy about sailing. But we've been married for many long years now, she know's all about my plan. And she let me go sailing when ready. even circumnav. The plan is she will come and meet up in "where we deside" by airplane. but our children will have to "put on" some years still. I keep on build my voyager.

Maxiswe you sead: "There are many worth the money second hand boat now" and you wouldn't build a steel vessel?! I would say I feel more secure in a homebuilt steel vessel. And yes I prefer steel. and second hand steelboat in swe is not that sheap, specially if in order.  to be conntinued...

evantica

And then why steel... I can tell you a story. A week ago I met a Danish couple. They told me: when sailing from Bermuda to the Azores they ran into a "Kaskelot" and broke their rudder and lost their forstay! this was a 37 foot Swedish Yacht (?!) The "only" thing that stop it from a disaster was, coz' of the bad weather they'd put on an "inner" forstay, so the mast wouldn't fall down on deck. But they fixed it and now live back in Denmark, after a couple of years in Westindies.
Yes this could happen a steel vessel to, and things do happen no matter what. But -for my self- want to get rid of this thinking (running into something at sea, at night) want a strong hull, that one of many reason! Take care...
www.evantica.blogspot.com

evantica

CapnK

Looking good!

I'm the same way as you - probably overly-paranoid of hitting something that could puncture the hull. My option is to make the boat as unsinkable as possible, partly by having lots of small contained, seal-able areas that extend above the at-rest waterline as far as possible. It should help limit the amount of water that can get into the boat. That, along with massive bilge pumps, should help me put the sea back where it belongs if it ever sneaks in. :).
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

evantica

See your point, I thougt of some sealed 30x30 cm all the way around the boat, at the edge, just below the deck. Purhapse this will do the trick if "punctiured" hull? and keep her afolat?!

evantica

I keep on welding a slow but steady progress

evantica

Yes found a retailer in swe! for 300USD :)

Oldrig

Wow!
That looks like the navigator's dome from a WW II bomber.
Really kewl!
--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

skylark

As encouragement, this site has some pictures of a beautiful old steel sailboat:

http://www.arivaan.nl/verhuur/
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

evantica

Thanks Skylark for link!

evantica

Soon I will get to do the "coachroof"(?!) Need some suggestions from you. what kind do you think I should build?

1. My drawing
2. Falmouth cutter
3???

evantica

its an on going process :)

evantica

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

evantica

Is this your boat skylark? Do like the shape of it. But I do not fancy the doghouse, geat for fishing, but not for windy seas on open sea.

evantica

Now it's winter and cold again, don't like it at all! It take time to build a seavoyager... like a never ending project. But still being focused! Today there was an L32 (Like "MAxiSwe") on the swedish marked for less than 15000US dollar. I spent that kind of money on my project more or less = sad!
But I'll keep on struggeling so finnaly some day I get out to feel the rythem of the open sea!