Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

My master piece

Started by evantica, February 17, 2010, 04:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntica

ntica

more oic from today...Love the way she looks :)

ntica

was talking to seahusky. sead he couldnt see my pic's here? anyoneelse have this problem?

SeaHusky

They work on my workcomputer but not at home. I have no Idea why.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

ntica

Captain Smollett

Quote from: ntica on November 21, 2011, 12:46:01 PM

How about "Celest" ::)

For a boat name?  I like it...very pretty.  More so if the name has personal meaning for you.

Your pictures are showing fine on this end, by the way.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Quote from: ntica on November 21, 2011, 12:46:01 PM
How about "Celest" ::)

Wonderful name. In English (and French) it is usually spelled "Celeste." But your version might be the Swedish spelling.

Go for it!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

ntica

Hi. "Celest" seem like a good name for me and my partner :)
DO anyone live near by "ANNAPOLIS"???

ntica

"CELESTE"  :)

I want to tell you that. There's an Aries for sale in US for 500 USD. needs to rebuild. cheap anyhow, I would have bought it but it's to complicated, the seller don't want any p&P. just cash money when picked up... so I let you in on it. If someone interested let me know and I provide you with adress and phone nr.

Godot

Quote from: ntica on November 23, 2011, 01:27:49 AM
Hi. "Celest" seem like a good name for me and my partner :)
DO anyone live near by "ANNAPOLIS"???

I'm nearby in Baltimore. Auspicious is in Annapolis. There might be others, too (it's a big sailing town, after all).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

ntica

Godot. The thing is. The seller want cash money when collecting the Windvane. I could not transfer or wiring the money to him. And he wouldn't p & P it for me either so, I must let it go.

ntica

I spoke to the seller of my IF today. He told me "she" was already named...
"MORITO"... I'm kind of little supoctisious ??? Never change a boat name?!

In Latin - English : wed, marry.

SeaHusky

I am not a superstitious person and I refuse to bring superstition on to my boat as it negative psychology instead of positive.
However we are all different and some like to uphold these seafaring traditions so luckily there is a way to safely rename your boat!

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

Captain Smollett

But there is no real superstition about renaming a boat...I don't know where that started, but it seems blown way out of proportion.

Don't sail on a Friday goes WAY back...with a long tradition.  Right foot forward...long tradition.

Renaming?

Not really.

The sailing navies used to rename vessels upon capture and never blinked twice about doing it.  Some vessels would have numerous names during their service lives if they were captured back and forth.

In contrast, I think it is important to have a name for YOUR boat that is meaningful TO YOU...not necessarily that of the last owner.  If you like, and feel connected, to her current name - cool.  But if not, make her yours.

And don't sweat it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

tomwatt

To add to Capt. Smollett's comment about the naming superstition, I've only found one real reference to it... and that involved renaming combat ships during a time of war and their subsequent sinking. I don't know of any other references to that being a "problem" except during WW2. But it wouldn't take many renamed sinkings to cause an awful lot of sailors to start to worry about it.
I think you can safely rename your vessel to a name that suits both you and the vessel. Although a suitably dignified renaming ceremony would surely be in order!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

ntica

Yes I think you are right, all of you! And it's my boat, And the name on her is important to me so...Celeste it will be!

SeaHusky

I try to always use positive psychology as taught by Bjelke and Shapiro http://www.northernlightsail.se/northern_light.html
Not "mustn't fall overboard" instead "must stay on board". Leads to action, not passivity.
Don't look for signs that mean bad luck, instead "Look, a dolphin. That's good luck!

Captain Smollett

Quote from: SeaHusky on November 28, 2011, 03:55:11 PM

I try to always use positive psychology as taught by Bjelke and Shapiro http://www.northernlightsail.se/northern_light.html
Not "mustn't fall overboard" instead "must stay on board". Leads to action, not passivity.
Don't look for signs that mean bad luck, instead "Look, a dolphin. That's good luck!

Grog for that point, and also for the link...another excellent sailing couple.  My first exposure to them was reading about their sailing to Antarctica!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

ntica

My furler (right word?) is beneth the deck... When using, I will have to set the head sail "flying" (A wire in the sail)

SeaHusky

Ntica, there is someone giving away a Hurly 20!
Like to see if your luck is still good?  ;D