Following Columbus: The Voyage of the Nina II

Started by Captain Smollett, February 22, 2010, 10:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I picked up a copy of Following Columbus; the Voyage of the Nina II by Robert F. Marx at the library for my daughter to study Columbus, the general history at the dawn of the Age of Exploration and to compare sailing in the 15th century to now.  All of this was to be part of her school work.

It is a fascinating story.  I've only begun reading it (she really likes it so far) and I found a few SailFar worthy tidbits.

Marx had the idea, or the dream, to build and recreate a voyage of one of the Spanish Galleons when he was contacted by a retired Naval Officer who was already building a replica of the Nina.  Marx was asked to join the project, and as he thought about it, he tried to convince Carlos (the Naval Officer) to do the entire 1492 voyage as a replica.  That is, Marx wanted to replicate EVERYTHING about the voyage - the construction of the ship, the food, the clothing, the navigational instruments, EVERYTHING.

To set up his position, Marx reasoned:

Cool Quote #1: "My theory is that one cannot write history from a library desk, but must live it also."

Carlos was reluctant at first.  

Cool Quote #2: "Sheer madness.  Columbus and his men were used to sailing caravels and living a hard life at sea, and we aren't."

(Big words from a retired Lieutenant in the Spanish Navy).

We have quite a way to go in this account, but this sure is some good stuff on the opening pages.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

j d

If this is the replica that was built in South America, I saw her turn around in front of the yacht club in Morro Bay when she visited there. The free MB paper gave her a nice right-up and even gave her web address and I did visit it, but can't recall it now. I just tried "nina. com." OH MY!! that sure wasn't it. So I typed in "nina visits Morro Bay", and that gave me a great picture of her tied up at Mariner Square.
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

AdriftAtSea

ROFL... I'm afraid to ask what came up at nina.com....

Quote from: j d on February 22, 2010, 09:36:32 PM
If this is the replica that was built in South America, I saw her turn around in front of the yacht club in Morro Bay when she visited there. The free MB paper gave her a nice right-up and even gave her web address and I did visit it, but can't recall it now. I just tried "nina. com." OH MY!! that sure wasn't it. So I typed in "nina visits Morro Bay", and that gave me a great picture of her tied up at Mariner Square.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Captain Smollett

The book we are reading was copyrighted in 1964 and the ship was built in Spain.  I don't think it was the same one.

Everything was done using 15th century techniques, down to hand wrought nails.

Marx did note that they had the advantage of knowing land was on the other side and where it was.  They could not turn off their 'human knowledge' for the reenactment.   ;)

That reminds me of a group that tried to replicate Ericson's voyage in a 'vintage' Viking craft a few years ago.  In their first attempt, they had some sort of rudder failure and had to return.  I remember thinking at the time of reading this that had that been in 1000 AD, they probably would not have made it back for another attempt.

I think these kinds of reenactments are VERY VERY cool, but they do have safety nets the original explorers did not have.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

j d

I did another search and found http://www.thenina.com/index.html  This is the one I saw. I was amazed how small she was. As far as an exact replica, well she was equipped with an iron genoa. I don't think that detracts though as Columbus never had to worry about being becalmed in the path of super tankers plowing the sea.
s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

Oldrig

Quote from: j d on February 23, 2010, 11:20:47 AM
As far as an exact replica, well she was equipped with an iron genoa. I don't think that detracts though as Columbus never had to worry about being becalmed in the path of super tankers plowing the sea.

Nor did she have Coast Guard safety requirements to contend with, just sea monsters and the possibility of falling off the edge of the earth.  :)
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

marujo_sortudo

As far as the Nina that was built in Brazil for the quincentennial in 1992, that was my dad's labor of love and despite the fact that she carries an iron genny, she is quite authentic, sea kindly, and sails well.  He tried to fight putting an engine in, but CG requirements for navigating inland waterways required it, IIRC.  He was lucky enough to discover that they were still using 15th century boat building techniques in rural Brazil, and I remember running around the boatyard as a teenager with the ground strewn with multi-colored, grainless hardwoods from rainforest.  The wood was all rough cut with chainsaws, but after that all shaping was done with hand tools: axes, adzes, and the like.  The tender was built entirely by a 14 year old, and well-built, too.  You should definitely check her out if you're ever near her.  I'd be glad to answer any questions anyone might have about her.