News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailer or sail

Started by Mario G, January 30, 2010, 11:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

The 1st mate said if it wasn't for the being bounced around so bad she could have delt with it. Any reason to put more wood is fine with me ... right it's very practical also.

Next sail is planned for in the next 3 weeks so we are going to be better prepared.
Can anyone give me a garenteed weather report?....   :-[

And I really plan on looking at a trailor for it ...if I should have to move it quick.

The sail thing is up-in the air at this time but I'm working on that.

can't wait to get under sail again.

CharlieJ

Mario- there is no such thing as "a guaranteed weather report", other than it's guaranteed to be weather. You must, MUST learn to look at the forecasts and maps and interpret for yourself.

From Tehani, currently weather bound in Boot Key Harbor!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: Mario G on March 17, 2010, 08:52:48 AM

Can anyone give me a guaranteed weather report?....   :-[

Like CJ said there are no guarantees and one must be able to see a proper weather window before heading out, as well as have the contingency plan of staying put until one is sure of that window.

A captain has a responsibility to his crew and boat to not rely a single weather forecast but rather be sure that conditions are going to be OK for the passage.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Exactly.

For example, we will be crossing the Gulf Stream to Bimini within the next
week to ten days-IF and that's a huge if, the wind goes to the south by then.

Otherwise we sit and wait until it does. Because you do not tackle the Gulf Stream in northerly winds.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

newt

Charlie- I did that...I was in a class with a cantankerous old instructor who announced we were going to Bimini the next day. When I told him I would never cross the Gulf stream with a northern wind, he just smiled and said "but your not the Captain now are ya" and so off we went. Tossed that 50 yacht around like a child's toy in a bathtub... I wish I had pictures, but I was too sick to do anything but lay down off watch...
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

CharlieJ

Mario- here's a perfect example of weather forecasting.

At 0900 we pulled the anchor. Forecast was for small craft should exercise caution. NW winds 15 - 20, seas inside the reef 2-3 feet. Tehani was wearing a fulll main and working jib and we had expectations of pulling down a reef.

Instead, at 1130, we have changed up o the genoa and the new forecast is for NW increasing to near ten this afternoon. Winds at Sombrero light are nine knots. We are barely making three on a very broad reach.

So just because they forecast things, don't mean that's what's gonna happen.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mario G

Charley one of the only things you ever hear me joke/ female dog about are how the weather people are over paid for never knowing what there talking about, not long ago we were told are location was being hit the hardest in a large thunder storm and we never saw a drop of rain or more then a light cloud.   

I've come to the conclusion because the wife operates the radio and the one that gets called Capt. all the time , I'm giving her the call on the weather I'm going to stick with my weather rock. 

I just hope for her sake that its awhile before he get caught like that again, and I'm just waiting to get  Shaken Knot Stir'd it where I can work on it.