News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Kap Horn in a Vega

Started by SeaHusky, February 01, 2010, 01:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

Here's a link to a Dutch guy who will be trying to go to Australia the hard way in his Albin Vega this summer.
It will be interesting to follow.

http://www.syrebellion.com/index-english.htm
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Oldrig

Just remember "Berserk," the Albin Vega that made it from Norway to Antartica. She was finally sunk by a freighter off Montevideo.

Those boats are amazing.
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

evantica

Hate to say this :( I don't like those vegas that much. They don't have that great "lines" / look. And in Sweden they are not that respected offshore cruisers... They have some weakness, roof is to weak for mast eg. (you all probably know all this?!) I saw one for sale here in the "fall" last year for as cheap as 1500USD yes in poor condition but still... But as they say " The taste is divided" (in sweden anyway)

But!!! I do like the berserk DVD great stuff

nowell

Late to the game here, but I love my Vega, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I have actually started my renovation and am really excited. Taking everything forward of the main bulkheads apart gave me a new appreciation for the way these were constructed. Everything is straight forward, practical, and idiot proof.

In the famous words of another captian I know ...

"She may not look like much, but shes got it where it counts!" -Han Solo when working on his ship in the Mos Eisley space prot. Funny how ship captians still work even in the future!!  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Oldrig

I've never been in love with the lines of the Vega, but the trips they've taken are amazing.

"Berserk" was one of the wackiest, weirdest and most enjoyable sailing books I've ever read. When I reviewed it for the now-defunct magazine where I used to work, I commented that it the book needed a consumer warning: "Don't try this at home."

Still, you've got to respect those sturdy Vegas--they kind of remind me of my old Saab 96, which was in many ways the best car I've owned.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

tomwatt

Quote from: evantica on April 01, 2010, 04:47:30 PM
Hate to say this :( I don't like those vegas that much. They don't have that great "lines" / look. And in Sweden they are not that respected offshore cruisers... They have some weakness, roof is to weak for mast eg. (you all probably know all this?!) I saw one for sale here in the "fall" last year for as cheap as 1500USD yes in poor condition but still... But as they say " The taste is divided" (in sweden anyway)

But!!! I do like the berserk DVD great stuff
I have walked through that boat... it has several major structural problems that make it a lose-lose situtation all the way around. Although surprisingly the deck is still sound... cannot say the same for the hull! Cracks in the keel area, possible issues with the rudder area, serious hull deflection from a collapsing trailer and carpenter bees eating away at the interior woodwork.
All-in-all, the Vegas strike me as being a compromise that is workable, but a little clunky looking, same way the Grampian 26 is.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

maxiSwede

As said, the Albin Vega is well proven and has done some remarkable voyages.

It is true that in Sweden, the country of it's birth, it's not considered a very good choice for off-shore cruising. It was designed as a coastal cruiser, on the lower budget side, and the beamy bow/v-berth section prevents it from pointing high.

It's all dependent on the crew, isn't it? And with some reinforcements here and there, Jarle Andh?y/Berserk and others have shown that it's doable.

And that's encouraging!  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com