News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sea anchor

Started by Mr. Fixit, March 11, 2010, 08:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

My para-anchor is almost finished--I picked up the steel fabrication that I am going to use to fasten the parachute shrouds to my anchor rode yesterday. I was not able to find 1/2" stainless rod locally so I had it made out of carbon steel. I am going to have it plated befor I sew on the anchor shrouds. I am glad this project is almost done-it was very hard on my sewing machine. Sewing  thru 3 layers of 8oz nylon and nylon strapping at the seams . As soon as the snow melts I will drag it outside and take a picture to post. If anyone wants to make one I will be glad to share what I learned. I could have had a easier time of if I had not made some bad decisions--and will gladly pass on this info--if anyone wants it.

CapnK

I'm interested, some pictures would be great. Did you go with the 12' diameter? What weight of cloth?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Mr. Fixit

I will forward pictures asap-- I used 8oz cordura-I think 5 oz would have been heavy enough. 12' dia. 12" center hole. I reinforced all 16  sections with 2" nylon(seat belt) material over the felled seams. The para.shrouds are 1" tubular nylon (4,000 lbs. breaking strength). The shrouds overlap the seams 24". Rode end will be sewen to a 7"steel ring that incorporates a 1/2" eye bolt thru a bushing to act as a swivel.The 12" hole end has 16 pieces of seatbelt for reinforcing. I made a templet out of luan ply for the panels. The dimensions I got from a book from sailrite. I used 12' DOA because this was recommended dia. for the weight of my boat. Smaller would have been much easier to sew. With 8 oz material, 12' dia.is about the max i could get under the arm of my LSZ-1. It was tough on the machine. This was the biggist project
I have done with this machine ---every thing that was not tight came loose--it was a learning experience.

Mr. Fixit

A lot of people prefer drogues to sea anchors. Due to my age (and stamina) I do not think that I would be able to run before a storm. I do not know how my boat would handle with a drogue, once committed to running your options are few. With a sea anchor I could go below and wait it out. Provided a lee shore was not an issue. I do not mind rough weather or getting bounced around, what concerns me is being at the tiller for long periods and staying alert. With the para-anchor I can use my spare anchor rode, and my anchor chain to deploy. It is amazing how quick a boat fills up !! A drogue would require me to carry another 300'. I expect to spend almost full time on the boat starting in spring--however other than practice if I have to deploy this anchor too often I will find another hobby!!!!I will not have a set schedule--other than no place to go and all day to get there---so I should be able to dodge bad weather. The anchor is for emergencies that where not forseen. If I was 20 years younger I would probably choose the drogue. I sail alone, being out in gale conditions is very tiring, a mistake at the tiller would not be a good thing.

CharlieJ

Para normally set off the bow, drogue normally from the stern.

Very good discussion of the two in Hal Roth's last book-  some like "to sail around the world" That's not the exact title but close. Book is well worth reading. Roth was a highly skilled
offshore voyager.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Also, a sea anchor is designed to stop the boat dead in the water or nearly so... and a drogue is designed to allow the boat to run off, though some, like the JSD, will only do so at a very slow speed.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Mr. Fixit

Today was a nice day here in NY--so as promised I took my sea anchor out on the driveway for pictures--then the fun began 3 hours later i am still not able to post. My resolve is when i am on my boat this summer is to get "educated" in regard to computers. The pictures are on picasa (http://picasaweb.google.com/lkern39/20090721storagevberth#)-----------this is the same link found listed under Boat Discussion Dec.26/09. There are 2 folders the first are the pictures posted in that thread, the second folder are pictures of my trip last fall,AND FINALLY the last 5 pictures are the sea anchor. The shrouds are still not sewn to the metal ring--i did not get it coated yet.--any questions give me a shout--I apologise for not being able to make this easier.--disregard the dates on the pictures my camera is not set up yet--they were taken last fall--being dumb is not easy---