News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

some scoop on poop

Started by CharlieJ, March 16, 2010, 02:51:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

When Laura and I rebuilt Tehani, we installed a porta - potti as there simply was no room for any sort of holding tank, and also, on the Texas coast, pump-out facilities can be difficult to locate. We have our own dump-station at the house so that worked well.

But then we started cruising out of state. In three trips across the varioous gulf coast states, we found exactly one town (Houma, La) that had facilities especially for porta-pottys, and one marina (Pirates Cove in Alabama, now gone) that otherwise provided for dumping. In many places we were made to feel like some sort of criminal for even mentioning the thing And often we found ourselves sneaking into restrooms after hours, or just at daylight, to empty the thing.

Regular pump out facilities for holding tanks won't work with a regular porta-potty. In one spot I did manage to make it work by dumping into a bucket, then pumping the bucket. A nasty business.

Of course, when offshore there was no problem, except-on the west coast of Florida ( in the Gulf of Mexico) the legal distance offshore is nine miles, not the three miles in other places. Nine miles is a long way out an 18 mile round trip!!

In Ft Myers Bch the pump out boat did have a fitting for use on porta-potties- if you set the base on the deck of his boat. Not too bad, and free with the mooring ball rental.

But then we got to Marathon.

Marathon is where Boot Key Harbor is located, which is a really pleasant,, landlocked harbor. With at the time, some 400 boats riding to moorings or at anchor.  It was made clear to us that we were welcome to stay, with our porta-potty, for 7 days. Then we would have to leave the harbor, or convert our system to one that could be pumped by the pump-out boat, through the deck. One pumpout per week is a part of dinghy dockage fees, or mooring ball  fees. Not a bad deal really.

Other places in the keys are similarly tighening regs on where you can use standard porta-pottis also. A part of that is the fact that all of the Keys are regarded as a Federal Marine sanctuary, with quite strict regulations
After discussing the options between ourselves, we decided to convert, since using the porta potty had really become , as they say, a PITA!!! Pain in the A.  ;D
We purchased a new porta-potty that has the option of a deck pump, or I can switch to a regular fitting and dump as normal when offshore. Best of both worlds, and legal where ever, even Canadian waters.  As a side benefit, the new potty is vented to the outside, so the interior of the boat no long has "that certain smell" when the thing has been in use for a few days. We can get seven days between pumpings.

I post this so anyone considering cruising the keys can make  provisions in advance, or at least consider the situation. We are glad we made the switch,, as in the long run the advantages outweigh the cost and problems with the installation. But I would much rather have  had the opportunity to made the changeover while in our home port, while we were not living aboard, and while I had more tools available.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Mr. Fixit

Hi Charlie--how were composting heads treated. Must they too be pumped????

CharlieJ

Can't really answer that- haven't looked at them since we don't have room. I would guess they'd be fine since no pumping or dumping is required.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: Mr. Fixit on March 16, 2010, 04:00:58 PM
Hi Charlie--how were composting heads treated. Must they too be pumped????

Nope.

Composting heads; Airhead, Nature's way..... <= clicky...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

myoungpy

Charlie

I'm interested in the porta potty with the optional deck pump out.  What brand and model did you get?
Mike
RK20

Greenman

This is the one I put on Shady Lady

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/23124-975-msd-portable-permanent-toilet-from-sealand.html

I used this sort of configuration.

I love it, it works great.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca