News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Insurance

Started by s/v Faith, April 05, 2006, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

We carry liability only on Tehani. When I lived aboard and cruised before I has nothing.

I'd thik liability would do. Ours is attached to our homeowners.
I tried. To get insurance from Boat/US on three different occasions, each time a real Cluster-f***. they don't seemtp be able to find thier butts with both hands.
Your mileage may vary.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Marc,

I went ahead and merged your thread into this one with the same title.  I think you will find some good info if you read back through the thread from the beginning.

As a matter of fact, I ASSURE you it will INSURE that you get more folks input....  ;)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CaptMac

I to have had no luck with Boat/US, they wanted me to get a survey and there cost per year was out of sight.
I also got my insurance through my my homeowners policy (Farm Bureau Ins.) like Charlie and my premium is about 1/3 of what Boat/US wanted and no survey.
I would check with your home or auto insurance agent first, its usually cheaper to bundle your polices.
Good Luck
Seafarer 26

Godot

The last time I checked, a few years ago, Allstate refused me because the boat was over 30 years old.  That was before I insured my house with them.  Boat/US gave me insurance but demanded a full survey.  And then followed weeks of back and forth until they where satisfied every little nit pick was fixed.

I've been on the hard for over a year now and am uninsured at present.  I'll be putting liability (I assume that covers recovery if it should sink in the bay ... can't leave the boat on the bottom) on in the spring. I probably won't deal with Boat/US again. Hopefully Allstate will be happier this time around. Or progressive.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

j d

Hi Marc, I think I would talk to the people where you want to keep your boat to see what it takes to satisify them, for starters. When I bought my boat, an 1980, Cape Dory 27, it was in wausau, WS on a home built trailer. I lived in AZ with another year before retirement. I wanted to insure it before I hauled 5 tons of boat and trailer across the US behind my truck. I called boat US. They did want a survey but I had one done before buying the boat and faxed it to them. they agreed to insure the boat for a value of 17,500 and provide liability of 100,000 for 157 a year. That was in 11-03. I've been with them ever since and so far never had a problem.

Guess I should add that I've never had to use it. I do get 16 bucks knocked of for that tho.

s/v Meander
Cape Dory 27
Presently berthed in Antioch, CA
exploring the Delta and bay

ThistleCap

I found similar experiences with Boat US, but also found the situation correctable.  I got the usual brush-off with a liability-only offer and the requirement for a survey.  I responded in writing and told them that was not good enough, and that if that was the best they could do, I wasn't interested.  I sent my resume and a copy of my 500-ton ocean master's license.  I added that there were only two surveyors listed in the whole state of Oklahoma, and one of them has no small boat or sailboat experience.  With the distance they would have to travel, a survey would cost $400.  Boat US came back with full coverage, and at a good rate for all the US, Canada, and 100 NM offshore, and accepted an eight-year-old survey made in Florida.

State Farm was the one that was ridiculous.  I have our home and two vehicles with them, so went into the agent's office expecting a warm reception.  Instead, they insisted on a full survey, the rates were ridiculous, and allowed the use of the boat in Oklahoma only.  I tried to explain that there was no water in Oklahoma, other than the random mud puddle, but they didn't care whether they provided a policy or not.  I found them unreasonable.  
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

Captain Smollett

Allstate gave me no problems.

Full coverage on the trailer boat - 1/4 or so the price of BoatUS, no survey.  That covers boat, trailer and contents when not being towed.  When being towed, it is covered on the auto policy (also with Allstate).

Liability only on Big Boat - 1/4 the price of BoatUS.  No survey.

No questions asked.  Picked up the phone, asked for a coverage quote, gave the particulars (HIN, boat size, etc), got quote, got coverage.

When we moved, we did have one Allstate agent refuse to provide insurance on the Alberg - she said NC law prohibits insuring a boat that is lived on.  In fact, she went on to tell me that it was illegal to live on a boat in NC.  We went to another agent and got auto policies transferred, both boats set and some other business in less than an hour.  That first agent did not know the law (or anything about boats) and rather than just say "I don't know insuring boats" she pulled this law stuff out of her behind.

Good business practice, that.  But is shows that there will be a TON of variation from agent-to-agent.  Boats will be out of the comfort zone of some of them.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

tomwatt

Lest anyone think I'm a pirate with no insurance, I thought I'd clarify... my boat's sitting on the hard at the head of Buzzard's Bay. Until it's time for it to get back in the water there's little need to insure her, the only disasters I can think of are both "acts of God" - a tornado or a hurricane blowing through.
Doubt I would carry fully insurance on it though, just liability to cover other boats from damage.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

AdriftAtSea

Tom?

That sounds reasonable.  Let us know if you need a hand with anything, as there are a few of us on Buzzards Bay.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

KenR

We found that liability only was the way to go. Higher premiums and haulout costs would cut into most claims excepting a total loss. Progressive has worked out well for us, plus, we never had to talk to anyone. Everything has been done on line and that really counts for something.
What could possibly go wrong???
s/v Blown Away
1984 Sovereign 28
Southwest Florida

tomwatt

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on January 24, 2010, 08:43:11 AM
Tom?

That sounds reasonable.  Let us know if you need a hand with anything, as there are a few of us on Buzzards Bay.
I'm flattered. Thank you.
As soon as work commences (channeling Jed Clampett) I'll let everyone know what issues I have (I'm sure something will come up).
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

sharkbait

No insurance. As Slocum said"Pay them with the mainsheet".
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Frank

None since 04. Too expensive once you state "Gulf stream and Bahamas" in my mind
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

daydreamer92

Unlike others, I had no problems at all with BoatUS.  The yard I'm in said I needed liability to stay there, though their agreement says I need to carry $1 million, plus hull value, etc.  I clarified that and they said $300K is all right.  I went to BoatUS with that, got a quote right away.  They did ask for a survey, but I didn't mind getting it at all; I found it really useful (and much better than expected).   BoatUS got the survey via email and sent us a binder right off even before they received a payment.  It's $177 a year, which doesn't seem like much to me.  Is it?  :)

SV Wind Dancer

I insure nothing at all.

Auspicious

I'm a big fan of USAA. They have covered me for vehicles, homeowners (when I had a house), and personal property - they have been very understanding about having no fixed address and dealing with me by e-mail and general delivery.

I had a long discussion with a supervisor in the underwriting department when I bought my 35' power boat. USAA doesn't deal well with long distance travel by boat - their experience is mostly trailer boats.

The power boat was insured with Boat/US. I was very happy with them, and the one claim I had to file was quickly and professionally managed.

For Auspicious I carry a policy with Jackline by IMIS. I've been thrilled with their support. My base policy covers me for the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays to the Colreg line. When I am going to cross the line I buy a rider for just the time I need. When I went to the Bahamas I almost forgot and IMIS got me covered while I was on the phone with them sitting in Little Creek (oops). They are covering my trip to RI, CT, and NY this summer for a couple hundred dollars.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

maxiSwede

Liability only is our choice too.

Not really a voluntary choice though. But when those leeches want 15-30 % (!) of the market value of our boat in yearly premium we don't have much of a choice. >:( ::)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com