How overweight is your boat?

Started by Lynx, July 16, 2008, 07:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

I receintly trailered my boat and we weighed it. I was supprised. I was wondering if anybody else has the same problem(?) with an overweight boat.

What does one think the correct crusing weight of a boat should be?
dry weight x 1.5? 2? 2.5?
MacGregor 26M

Auspicious

I think Auspicious is roughly 1500 lbs (not including fuel and water) over empty weight. Full provisioning, second anchor/rode, and additional tools that I don't currently keep on the boat are probably another 750 lbs. I could pare about 300 lbs of "stuff" out of the first number if I had to on a smaller boat to keep speed and performance up.

Carrying extra fuel and extra water is a self-correcting problem. For my ocean crossing I carried 20 gallons of fuel on deck in jugs in addition to what was in the tanks and about 40 gallons of water in bottles under a berth in addition to what was in the tanks.

Mildly entertaining: about half the emergency water turned out to be carbonated mineral water due to a provisioning error by one of the crew.

N.B. "Empty" weight includes a lot of outfit that is built in, including generator, refrigerator, freezer, TVs, and spares that are unlikely on an average SailFar boat to allow a more useful apples-to-apples comparison.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

mike_hancock

My sailboat only seems overweight when I am on it.  ;D ;D

AdriftAtSea

I'm pretty sure mine is a lot heavier than the manufacturer's spec of 3600 lbs.  Most of them are, and mine is more heavily equipped than her sister ships. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Marc

Right now my boat is off the trailer for restoration.  I am planning on weighing just my trailer this weekend and recording it so that when I put Lorinda back on the trailer I will then again weigh her and the I will know just how much more or if any I can add.  Restoration sucks but it can an adventure at the same time.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Lynx

The empty weight of my boat is 2500 pounds without motor. I weighted in, fully loaded for cruising at 5700 US pounds without waterballast.

When underway, with waterballest and me in it, the motor is pushing 7000+ US pounds. The water is still below water line.
MacGregor 26M