Just Wondering: Outboard motor in a well?

Started by petelesperance, May 14, 2008, 01:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Kendall,

If it were me, I would pass on the 9.9.  Several times on the trip to Deliver Ariel Spirit Rose and I commented on the problem with the 9.9 Mercury.

Of course if you do not have a motor, and this would get you on the water... just know you are likely to have problems if you throttle up.  What year/make is the motor>?

It was a 2 stroke, so I do not think it was the weight, but even with the motor throttled back we noticed the stern squat was more pronounced then we had experienced with Faith.

The trim angle on the Ariel well is pretty good, in that it is undercut so you can play with the shaft angle.  I have tilted mine back and forth and not noticed much difference... best to just get the cavitation plate as level as you can.

I guess I should confess that I bought ANOTHER outboard (see Tim, I did come clean in public).  I came across a Honda 8hp 4 stroke and was plannig to modify my well to make it fit (to get the 2 cyl my Yamaha had, hoping for the quiet and low fuel use of my Tohatsu).... well I don't think it is ever going to go aboard Faith...  :P

I am not willing to lose the advantages I cited earlier of deal with the weight.... so I now have another in my collection (Hello group, I am Craig and I own 7 outboard motors...)  ::)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

kendall

Thanks, I may pass on it then, would rather not deal with issues. 

It's a newer 2-stroke a friend of mine has, may just borrow it till I find a good 4-stroke. I'm not really into 2-strokes anyway.

Ken.

Piraten

Wondering if anyone has experience in making outboard trunks in sailboats.  It originally had an atomic 4 but now has a 9.9 outboard.  I'd rather not have the engine hanging off the back so I'm trying decide if I want to repower with another inboard or make a trunk in the hull.

-Needs to be easily accessible.
-Able to be stored completely out of the water.
-While engine turn capability would be nice, not mandatory as I want to drop it in about the same place as the original prop.
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

Marc

I have often thought of the same thing but my skills are limited.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

s/v Faith

I am going to split these two posts off, and merge them into the 'outboard in a well' thread so you can get the answer you are looking for. :)

...also, quite sure it is in this thread, but in case you miss it here is a link to the excellent article by James Baldwin;

The Inside Outboard - building a well for an outboard motor

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

Building a well for an outboard is a fairly straightforward project IMHO, however, you do need to make sure that you are not compromising the hull's strength when placing it.  You also need to account for the loss of buoyancy that cutting a well into a boat causes as well as the weight and placement of the engine, which will usually be further aft than an inboard, but not as bad as a transom mounted outboard.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more