News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

stainless steel and bronze seacocks!

Started by max_hyde, April 03, 2010, 09:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

max_hyde

Hi, trying to go through the list the surveyor said needed doing, just want to resolve a couple of points:

1. I'm installing three Blakes bronze seacock/ thruhulls, to bed these in to the hull, would it be best to use a non drying, flexible sealant or should I go with a hardening adhesive/ sealant?

2. Have to replace all rigging deck fixings, these are all 316 SS, the backing plates they come with are pretty poor, I have access to a lot of 304 grade SS would this be suitable for backing plates, I know strength wise they would be fine, just concerned with any galvanic/ corrosion issues?

Cheers Max

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: max_hyde on April 03, 2010, 09:56:15 AM
Hi, trying to go through the list the surveyor said needed doing, just want to resolve a couple of points:

1. I'm installing three Blakes bronze seacock/ thruhulls, to bed these in to the hull, would it be best to use a non drying, flexible sealant or should I go with a hardening adhesive/ sealant?

Pipe dope is probably the way to go. 

Quote2. Have to replace all rigging deck fixings, these are all 316 SS, the backing plates they come with are pretty poor, I have access to a lot of 304 grade SS would this be suitable for backing plates, I know strength wise they would be fine, just concerned with any galvanic/ corrosion issues?

Cheers Max

What are the bolts made of?  If they're 304, then you should be fine. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

max_hyde

All bolts are 316, will use a flexible sealant for the seacocks, cheers for the input!

AdriftAtSea

IMHO, you'd be better off with bronze screws, rather than 316 screws, since you're now introducing a third metal to the mix. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

max_hyde

Sorry I have seemed to have caused some confusion,

Question 1 was about deck fittings, all these are SS but differing grades 316/304 was just worried about any problems mixing different grades of SS.

Question 2 was about the bronze seacocks, all these fittings are bronze (including the bolts) all I was after was confirmation that using flexi sealant was the way to go with the seacocks.

Cheers Max

NB. Always remember to make sure all pipes leading to the head are empty before removing (guess who didn't?)