Previous topic - Next topic

Iceman

We get to meet
Tania Aebi

Next Saturday evening at our winter dinner event
should be fun

60 members of our yacht club have signed up for the event ;D

starcrest

izzit troo wut i hoid?her boy friend followed rite behind in a much bigger boat..."the same guy in every port"?
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

LauraG

Very cool. She has been an inspiration to me. I figured if a teenager that was basically thrown onto a sailboat by her father could manage to make it around the world then surely I could make it across the bay! I've done much more now and I'm planning my first journey across the Gulf of Mexico. Her story continues to give me confidence.

Pixie Dust

Me too Laura.  I often think, the same thing. 
Iceman, give us a full report.  :) 
Enjoy the evening!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Solace

I met her at the Toronto Boat Show - got her to autograph her latest book "I've Been Around".
Took my girls down the following weekend, hoping she still might be there but they met another lady cruising author instead. A Canadian to boot. Ann Vanderhoof - bought her book to "Embarassment of Mangoes". Lots of kewl recipes in that one.

Maiden Voyage is a great inspirational book. Almost had my eldest girl talked into reading it for her 9th Grade English class - but apparently it has to be fictional. Oh well, hopefully both my girls will get around to reading it one day.

Cheers!

John

CapnK

Just had my copy returned to me a couple weeks ago, will be rereadingit soon probably. :)

Ice - how did her talk go? Was it good?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

My wife and I got to meet her last year at Bob and Jody's cruising seminar.  Very cool my wife especially enjoyed meeting her.  Speaking of Bob he has a new book out a compilation of stories I'm in the process of reading it now.  Also I believe Bob said he is working on a new book with Tania.  Very Kewl people.

--------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Zen

I just found a copy on sale at the local used book store. $5.00

I'll pass it on to my cousin, she has expressed an interest in learning to sail.

If it is true about the boy friend following her on a bigger boat, that kind of puts a damper on things...

I did notice in a couple of the photos there are two boats on the hook, when she is hanging out in some remote place.

Never the less it should be good reading.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

LauraG

She met her boyfriend while she was circumnavigating and they did sail along side each other some of the time. I'm sure you'll find when you read the book that it does nothing to lessen her accomplishments.

Zen

I was skimming through it this afternoon. I see she meet up with him somewhere down the line. Makes sense, the beginning that I read has her on her own. I'm in the middle of reading another book, "the floating harpsicord", I stopped a bit to check out the MV. It was interesting reading, I'm tempted to read it before giving it to my cuz. I just picked up a whole bunch of books so It really should just pass it on, my plate is full...for now  :D
I'll get it back later.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

dnice

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have to give my two cents on this book.

Tania is my newest and greatest hero.

Was this written right after/durring the trip?

when I'm reading it, I find it hard to imagine that this is a little 19yo girl. She was/is incredibly brave. Her writing is elaborate and beautiful. For several nights I have immersed myself into her world so completely that my own world disappears.
and talk about inspiration!!
if this girl can do it, so can i.
I've been repeating that mantra over the last few days, building self-confidence knowing that it doesn't take any more than strength of character and a little common sense to get you across the globe. I've known this all along, but tania's experience has really driven it home for me.

I think this is a must read for anybody planning any type of adventure.

Check out her latest adventure as posted in this thread.

Godot

As I recall, Tania was writing articles for Cruising World as she was doing her trip.  Afterward, she partnered with the then editor of CW to expand her articles into a full book.

I really enjoyed reading it the first time.

I really enjoyed reading it the second time.

By the third time I was wishing for more details about the sailing part, as opposed to the personal part, of her voyage.

It was the book that got me thinking about sailing again.  I think her writing has greatly improved since those early days, and would buy another book if she wrote it.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

AdriftAtSea

s/v Godot-

She's got a second book out, called "I've been around" or something like that.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Godot

Yeah, I've read much of it.  They are a compilation of her latitudes & attitudes articles.  That isn't quite what I meant, though.  I was really talking about another more, I don't know, cohesive book.  Maybe based on her current adventures with family (is that still going on?).  It won't have the hook of the innocence of being the youngest female around; but I'd read it anyhow.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay