News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

chart storage

Started by Mr. Fixit, April 13, 2010, 06:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

I am having a problem trying to decide where to store charts.I am thinking about putting my full size individual charts in a piece of pvc pipe with endcaps. My maptech chart books could be put in a sumbrella folder type holder and hung up with fasteners of some type. I regret not having a nav station with a desk type working area storage under desk top. Where do you store your charts???, anybody have any suggestions???

CharlieJ

DON'T roll them. You'll regret it forever. You'll fight the curl for the life of the chart.

On a small boat  or even a medium sized one) a chart table is a waste of room. You'll use the charts most often in the cockpit anyway.

We keep all not in use charts lying flat under the forward cushion of the Vee-berth. Un-noticable when the bunk is in use and keeps them flat. All the chart books are there too.

I had a chart table on my 35 foot trimaran. Never used in in 3 years of live aboard cruising. 
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I'd second not rolling the charts.  Rolled charts are a royal PITA. I don't have a v-berth in my boat, but do keep the charts flat under the main cabin saloon settee cushions.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

ThistleCap

This is another vote for stowing under the berths.  I tried the tube and end-cap route about 40 years ago.  It took me about a week to sour on that idea.  The pipe ends up being a monster below, taking up room, always in the way.  Even doing  trans-Atlantics with charts for US, Bermuda, Azores, Europe, Madeira, Canaries, and Bahamas, the pile still lies flat enough to be unnoticed.  One caveat, however.  When sailing in cold weather or water there may be a problem with condensation under the mattresses.  The body heat may make the berth surface sweat under the cushions causing both the cushions and charts to become moist and mildew.  A layer of insulating material (dense foam or material similar to what vehicle sunshades are made from) will save both the charts and upholstery.  Get in the habit of using an accordian fold to limit the amount of back folding needed to reach the portion of the chart you need.  Use one half-fold or tri-fold lengthwise and then accordian fold like a road map.  If you can end up with a size like a chart-kit, their vinyl chart envelopes make a wonderful solution for cockpit use.
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

newt

My Dad had a huge book made up of two pieces of plywood with metal hinges on it. He stored all of his charts flat in this "book" and I remember going through the charts with wonder and dreaming about the places I would go to.  Anybody else store like that?
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...