Seeking the like minded, accommodations on land, etc.

Started by marujo_sortudo, May 07, 2010, 07:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marujo_sortudo

So, imagine you've been on your boat for weeks (sounds good, eh?), but you're ready for a few days on land, a hot shower, and meeting some of the locals.  Being a sailfar'er, you can't imagine shelling out valuable boat funds for a hotel, or maybe even a hostel.  You could try this website/community:

http://www.couchsurfing.com

I spent months traveling in other countries and staying with complete strangers (w/references through this website), spent nothing for lodging, instead spent time with incredible people, always had access to a hot shower and a kitchen, etc., etc.  This is excellent for meeting locals and finding a place to stay; although, it is about spending time with your hosts usually, so it is not an meant if you're JUST looking for a place to stay.  If you want to meet up with locals just to get shown around, it's used for that, too.  Maybe you can reciprocate by offering a sail?  (Lots of CSer's are excited by the idea of sailing, being generally into unconventional means of getting around.)  Incidentally, many times you are only surfing a couch in name, I often stayed in guest bedrooms when folks had them, but there are more options if you're comfortable unrolling a sleeping bag anywhere.

Anyway,  I thought this would be another handy resource for sailfar'er's when they need a little break from the boat, want to meet the locals, or just need somewhere to stay while doing some repairs.  This is a worldwide network.

Bubba the Pirate

Very cool.  I signed up.   I have enjoyed my time at Hostels, this is a new wrinkle that I like. 

Thanks!  Grog to ya.

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~