News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Spreader hardwear

Started by Mario G, April 15, 2010, 06:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario G

On my Chrysler C-26 the spreader detached at the mast taking the lower shrouds with it. The assembly is set up with cups that bolt to the mast by what I think is a double end stud about 1/2" dia., not sure the length.  I'm in need of size and where I might find replacement.

Shaken Knot Stir'd is 3 1/2 hours away and as much as I would like to drop everything to run out there and work on it life keeps getting in the way.

Captain Smollett

Mario,

I saw the picture of your spreader bolt that you posted.

Looks to me like you could buy a piece of 316 Stainless rod and thread the ends.  You could use the good end as the model for how long the broken end should be to get both the total length and the how much to thread.

I don't know about the Chryslers, but I do know that on the Alberg 30, Whitby custom made a lot of components hull by hull as they manufactured them.  So, for my boat as an example, there are a lot of parts that there is no OEM source.  That said, there are companies that have taken to making aftermarket components that are sometimes drop-in replacements and sometimes require modifications.

Any luck on the Chrysler board for a source of that fastener?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bubba the Pirate

I googled stainless all thread and got a hit.  It might be faster/cheaper, but you might also need a bushing or something so the threads don't tear at the mast.  Just $.02.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

You might also think about why they might have built it that way in the first place.

The spreader sockets are going to have some light shear forces on the base, and some tension on them but no real loads to speak of.... some shock loads with a jibe, or pumping of the mast.. but the actual numbers involved should be pretty small. 

It seems to me that the threaded rod was more likely a way to combat someone over tightening the spreader caps onto the studs and crimping the mast.  You could simply buy a couple of stainless bolts of the same length and some nylock nuts (or drill and wire the nuts).

You would need to use some care and not over tighten them... or you could place a bushing inside them as 'Sailorbum' suggested. 

If you were in a beautiful anchorage, in some tropical setting you would likely be doing this repair with some far less suitable material then the readily available bolts you can easily purchase now.

Just a suggestion.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Mario G

I am going with a stainless all thread rod as a replacement.  I think its a good basic design that has seem to work well on it for 33 yrs.,  the fact that its not a findable replacement part means it most likely original.  I'm sure just snug as far as tightening them.  I will replace all the cotter pins and any other hardwear I think is crucial.

The hardest thing is finding time to work on it.  I would rather be sailing.

Mario G

I ordered threaded SS rod and will use electrical heat shrink on the internal mast area to stop any change of the wires running up the mast from chaffing. 

In fact tomorrow morning we should be reparing and stepping the mast ($10) fixing the pull pinion gear ($5) and setting sail atleast as far as Oriantal.  Being were not a big fan of channel sailing our course will be the Pamlico Sound. by chart its 70nm's

the weather seems to be in our favor high 70* to low 80*  9 to 15 mph winds

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Mario G on April 29, 2010, 09:22:45 AM

setting sail atleast as far as Oriantal.  Being were not a big fan of channel sailing our course will be the Pamlico Sound. by chart its 70nm's

the weather seems to be in our favor high 70* to low 80*  9 to 15 mph winds

Hi Mario,

Glad to hear you guys are getting things squared away and starting the next leg of your trip.

Couple of questions:

How long are you planning to sail from Manteo to Oriental on the Sound...I mean, how long are planning to take to get there?

There are few really good places to anchor on the Sound on that stretch.  You probably will need to at least have a Plan B that involves running non-stop (standing watches) from the time you leave until you get to Oriental.  In light weather, you might find a couple of places to anchor, but they are exposed.

The Sound is definitely big water.

Also, though windspeed looks light, in the 5-10 kt range, the wind direction is predicted to be from the Southwest...right in your teeth.  As you know, that will add some miles to your trip.

Check out Passage Weather for a good big picture view over the next few days.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Mario G

Got the spreaders fixed the threaded stainless rod worked out well, I used heat shrink to sleave the interior of the mast so nit to chaff the mast wiring.

new pull start gear and the engine will start on one pull most times.

But we didn't get the mast up and of the 3 marinas we motored around too, none could help raise the mast.

We are now moored near the Manteo light house, within eye sight were we started ???  but learned alot, meet a few sailors, looked at some very nice sailboats and relaxed a little . And this time the only thing dropped over board was a bungee cord. 

Thanks again Capt Smollett ,just your advice was very helpful this time.