Painting an inflatable...doable or waste of time?

Started by maxiSwede, June 07, 2010, 04:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

The only (?) downside of the full-time cruising life, is that the dink deteriorates at a fast pace.

earlier this year we boght a used inflatable (PVC) that 'looked like new' for a fraction of the price for a new one.

After a couple months of use (incl. some abuse) as the 'daily driver' the dink looks like sh**t. The tops are sticky, probalby because the UV and the heat more or less dissolves the 'rubber' part of it.

After a web search I found this US made product...

http://kajoomla.mybigcommerce.com/categories/TUFF-Quart-Kits/

and wonder if anyone has experience, perssonally or some friend/neighbour who tried it?

I can't find any supplier in the EU which is a bit discouraging, but still...

BTW, it is the dink I told about on my blog in MArch or thereabout
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Capt. Tony

Oh the incessant grind of the cruising life...

I don't know if it would be worth hassle to paint an unstable surface.  While I have no experience with the product you mentioned I have tried working with other 'miracle' type products that claimed to do 'X' but fell miserably short of the mark.  Not only proving to be a waste of my time but also the money that could have been spent on something more useful.

If you have access to a sewing machine I recall someone making a snug fitting cover that protected their dink from UV degradation.  If I can find the photos I'll post them.

How about a link http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/pvc-vs-hypalon-4958.html

Better yet!  My mom is a seamstress so naturally it runs in our blood.  You get the supplies, I'll buzz out to you and in a few short months I bet I can press one out. ;D

CharlieJ

most folks I've talked to indicate (including Stephan Lance who runs Defender) that the life of a PVC inflatable is pretty much about 5 years  if left out. Of course that's in warmer climes than yours but PVC simply doesn't last as long as Hypalon. One of the reasons they are so much cheaper.

I have an Achilles (Hypalon) that is 30 years old, and has numbers painted on it using vinyl paint and it's still got numbers ;)

As for the stuff you mention, I have no idea.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera