News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New sails

Started by matt195583, May 21, 2010, 04:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt195583

OK I had the boomaroo up for sale but a few things have changed and I have decided that it is probably wise to keep her for a few more years ( save more for a bigger boat).
I have been getting a few quotes for a new set of sails and Rolly Tasker through Sail Solutions seems to be the best quotes I can get I have spoken with Greg from sail solutions about what sails to buy and I have decided on a 6 oz dacron crosscut loose footed main with slugs for the mast, 2 deep reefs, leech battens and cuningham.

I don't have or intend to add a furling unit so the head sails will be hank on Greg suggested a 150% 125% 105% and a 85% would these be sufficient for the likes of cruising Hervey Bay ? should I be inclined to go for a 85% or something more like a storm-sail ? also Greg reckons I would proably never use the 85%

I don't race either and don't really have any inclination to so the setup is basically for cruising about I am based in Brisbane and will mainly sail Moreton bay But i hope to get up north once a year .

Any advice or input will be much appreciated

Captain Smollett

Quote from: matt195583 on May 21, 2010, 04:47:23 AM

Greg suggested a 150% 125% 105% and a 85% would these be sufficient for the likes of cruising Hervey Bay ? should I be inclined to go for a 85% or something more like a storm-sail ? also Greg reckons I would proably never use the 85%

Are you really going to change headsails THAT much?

I don't know your boat, so maybe she needs that fineness of control on the headsail.  But, for me personally, I'd probably just go with the 150 (OR the 125) and the 105 OR the 85), then add a storm jib.

I'd save the money and use it for a drifter.

My planned headsail inventory:

Genny, 150-ish
Working jib  (or combine these two with a reefing genny)
Drifter
Storm jib
Second working jib for twinning.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

maxiSwede

Quote from: Captain Smollett on May 21, 2010, 08:23:57 AM

Genny, 150-ish
Working jib  (or combine these two with a reefing genny)
Drifter
Storm jib
Second working jib for twinning.

Captain Smollett -

I agree that all those headsails seem like an awful lot.... for a cruising boat.   That said, I wouldn't think it is feasible to get a good working sail out of your suggested combo (150% genoa and working jib)  IN my experienc they do not have anything in common, except the hanks and the length of the head stay  ;)

Just as an example, (it's boat dependent too, but your Alberg and my L32 are of a 'similar breed') I went with a 15=% genny - a lght air genoa in light cloth that works <12 knots apparent and from then on it's the woring jib in heavy cloth, high cut, and with battens that also has a reef and hence works for us til 35 knots at least knots depending on pint of sail. from there on it would be the strorm jib. As an aside, I've yet used the storm jib just once. Late september -07 in the Baltic Sea with 45 knots sustained on a broad reach. Great fun actually!  ;D

We do have a drifter too, and a spinnaker w sock so we will move along in any kinda weather from say 6 knots. Due to the weight of our boat she won't really 'move' in really light air, she maintain steerage... 1,5-2 knots boat speed.

I only mention this snce in my opinion it's very KISS indeed!

Here's   a grog to you for your input on the NanoStation BTW. It's one of the best pieces of equipmnet we've got on board.  8)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com