News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dinghy storage

Started by skylark, May 16, 2010, 08:35:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

Last year I was bragging that i got a dinghy for $100.  Its painted now and I added oarlocks, so it is a functional dinghy.  I can also get registration numbers and add a motor, I have an old Johnson 2hp 2 stroke that should work.

The dinghy fits on my foredeck, but there is a problem, it covers my only cleat for anchoring and mooring.  It was not too hard to pull it up on deck and maneuver it.  Flipping it was a challenge but I'm sure I can figure out an easy way to do that.

If I am going to keep the dinghy on deck, I will need to mount the dinghy on chocks.

What do you think, is this a good way to store a dinghy?

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

s/v Faith

Wow Paul, that dingy looks like it was just about made for your boat.  ;D

Yes, I would make some chalks, but would not worry too much about the cleat.  It would be ideal if you could access it, but you can probably lift the bow of the dingy with the halyard if needed for anchoring (yes, it would be a pain if you had to do every day but if you have enough chain you could make up a snubber and keep it cleated off...)
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

skylark

I think getting to the cleat quickly is an important safety feature.

I wish I could figure out how to improve the anchor handling system on this thing, I do not like the way it is set up.

They built a hatch with an anchor locker underneath.  It would be much better with no hatch to open up but rather a hawse pipe opening to drop chain down and a good bow roller on the front end.  As it stands, if I want to put another cleat on it, it has to go on the anchor locker hatch, that is the only place I can see for it to go.  That means I need to fasten some plywood down over the locker, enclosing it permanently, and give it an overengineered bolt plan connecting the permanent hatch cover to the deck.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

newt

I think you need another cleat.  How about at the bow? Or (I have never done this- just thinking outloud) on the sides that are sloping- I would think you need at least 4 cleats for a boat that size.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

skylark

I am putting two anchor/mooring cleats on, one on either side.  Then i will add some chocks to hold the dinghy in place, and a couple more smaller cleats at the back of the dinghy to allow it to be tied down.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

Just an idea I had looking at the pics...

What if you put a little 'door' (think LST loading ramp) on the front of the dinghy? With a gasketed overlap and some clamping latches, it would be waterproof enough for when dinghy-ing, and when you need access to the cleat, just flip up the door to reach into/under the dinghy bow.

Yeah, I know... ;)

Dinghy stowage is always a "problem seeking a solution" on sailFar-sized boats, isn't it? :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

skylark

Well, I put the cleats on and I like them but I still cannot find a way to secure the dinghy on the foredeck.  I think I am going to give it up and sell the dinghy.  This is very frustrating, I cannot seem to find a decent dinghy that can fit on my boat. 

I like my new cleats though.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

atomvoyager

Paul,

That's a nice looking dinghy and seems to fit on the foredeck. Maybe I'm missing something, but looks like you have several options to lash it down. You can add folding eyestraps to the deck as needed, which will fold down out of the way after the dinghy is launched. You could also add an eyebolt or U-bolt to the dinghy bow and if you don't have them already, add thru-bolted eyestraps to the inside corners of the transom for lashing down the aft end. You want those anyway to tie the stern of the dinghy when moored alongside the boat with a fender in between.

Converting that anchor well to a chain locker might solve several problems for you as well. The link below shows that conversion I did to a Columbia 8.7

http://atomvoyages.com/projects/Columbia.htm

James B

skylark

Thank you, that anchor locker is my next big project.

Folding eyestraps are a good solution, I was worried about tripping over cleats on the foredeck.

The problems I have with the dinghy and storage location:
It blocks my view from the companionway seat under the dodger, which is where I sit and pilot the boat in rain or hot sun
There is a ridge on the deck which is the mast support, and because of it, I would need tall chocks at the corners of the dinghy.  I could cut the dinghy transom down to fit the ridge
When trying to put the dinghy in the water yesterday, there was some scraping and splintering involved that I don't want to do again
When I was able to drop the dinghy in the water, it swamped and I was not able to get it back on deck
I don't have an available halyard to use as a hoist, there is no spinaker pulley on my masthead

Today I will bail out the dinghy and think about it for a while.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan