Chainplate discussion; type material, repair,,,

Started by CapnK, November 05, 2007, 08:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dobrodaddy

Howdy Capnk, hope all is going well with the chainplates! If you don't mind me asking, how did you determine the thickness, width, and length of your external chainplates? And what are your thoughts on using bronze?

CapnK

As far as width and thickness, I went off of what the Ariel already had. The original chainplates still look fine after 40 years, and many, many folks are still sailing around on their originals. Also, the rig on the Ariel is the same as that of the Triton, a 30+% heavier boat - so I know that it is plenty strong enough, overbuilt even. That was one of my attractions to the Ariel originally.

As far as length, I looked around at what other Ariel owners had chosen, as well as what was designed on a number of other boats. I've gone longer than the originals and what most other Ariel owners have chosen, partly to spread the stresses out as far as possible, and partly for aesthetic reasons.

As far as material, I've gone with stainless. I'm no metallurgist, so I just figured that I would follow in what The Mighty Alberg decided to use in the original design of the boat. :)

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Sorry Capn.  I missed your post on the Ariel site in the hubub of getting ready for Alaska. Here is a quick couple of ext. shots.

Plates are 12 1/2" by 1 1/4", 1/4" stock

Backed on the inside with3/4" hardwood and large washers. Sorry no pic.

If was to remake them I would prolly back with plate over epoxied ply like I am doing the cleats.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward