News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Dual-duty Cockpit/Cabin seats

Started by CapnK, December 18, 2005, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

For my last boat, I bought 4 of those Sport-A-Seats - the folding/lay-flat portable seats that sell at boat stores for $100 or so. They are a good product, but have some drawbacks.

I found that having 4 of them onboard a small boat was way too much - they are bulky when stowed. Even just having 2 made for a lot of space taken up belowdecks when they weren't in use. I eventually sold them all off, and have found another replacement that works much better on a small boat:

Thermarest camp matresses, used in conjunction with Thermarest Chair kits.

The matresses are inflatable/deflatable, which means they can be stowed in a very small space - 1/8th or 1/10th the space of the Sporta's. They are also highly water resistant, and dry very fast (faster than the Sunrella covers on the other seats by far). Belowdecks, they can be used as a matress for the spare "company" bunk, while in the cockpit (or even below), when rigged in the Chair Kit, they provide the same functionality as the bulkier Sport-A-Seats.

The matresses and the chair kits are widely available through camping/backpacking stores. My favorite mail order houses for these are either Campmor, or Sierra Trading Post.

Hope this helps someone. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Glissando

Those inflatable seats seem like a good solution where storage space is an issue.

That said, I have to say that it's tough to beat the Sport-a-Seats if one can live with their bulk.  We have two on board, and they just live in the cockpit when we're cruising.  We stick them under the dodger at night, or when it rains, or when under sail.  If they get wet, no big deal...and it sure beats trying to store them below when we're living aboard.  I wouldn't want any more than two of them on a small boat, for sure.

Either choice would involve some compromises.  Choose your poison!

CapnK

You are right, Tim. If I had the space, the SportASeats are very nice, I didn't mean to sound like I wss knocking them. I did enjoy mine. :)

Come to think of it, this is the sort of thing which prompted the idea for this site - living aboard/cruising involves compromise, living aboard/cruising *small boats* involves more. :D

More on cushions - A tale of false economy...

The reason I bought 4 SportA's in the first place was so they could serve as full-length cockpit cushions when flat (ie; for sleeping 2 outside on the 'pit seats). Bottom Sider-brand cockpit cushions for that boat (a Com-Pac 23D) would have cost about $650, a lot more than 4 SportA's, so I made the purchase. This was right after I'd bought the boat, first major purchase for the boat, so I didn't have much to spare.

About 3 months after I got the SportA's, though, a guy popped up on the CP Owners list who'd sold his 23, and kept the Bottom Siders to use on his new boat. After a couple months, found out that they just wouldn't work, and wanted to unload them. Almost brand new, he was asking $350 for the Bottom Siders - such a deal, right?!?

So, now I had 4 SportASeats *and* a complete set of fancy custom high dollar cockpit cushions. All for only $750..Woot! I was in the butt-cushion high cotton... :D

Long story short, the Bottom Siders went with the CP23D when I sold her (for what I'd originally paid for the boat, no profit), and the 4 SportA's I later sold off in pairs for about $225 total. So I figure that my Cockpit Cushion Lessons cost me a little more than $500. :D

*This* time around,  ::) I'm going to "roll my own" custom cushions (closed cell foam like the Bottom Siders, with sewn covers and a way to attach them to the c'pit seats), and keep a couple of the Chair Kits aboard.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

I have 1 SportASeat on Zen. I was planning on getting one more for the 1st mate. I do like it alot, it is a bit of a drag when storing. I was thinking about one of those camping chairs that fold flat, and have straps to hold up the back rest, but they are not  adjustable as the SportSeat, but about 1/2 the cost and easy to store...but...

Trade-offs...
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Auspicious

I have 2 Sport-A-Seats that I have sailed with on boats as small as 22'. I don't think there is anything to substitute for them.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Pixie Dust

I have 2 of the Sport a Seats and I use them all the time.  I keep them in the cockpit when sailing.  It boosts me up a little so I can see over the bow. :)  I  use it on the bow for reclining and use them below, even on the cushions.  It gives me good back support when I am reclining and reading.  I can even use them in the V berth as a recliner backrest.   These work well for me at this time.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

oded kishony

CaptK (our fearless leader) writes:

>The matresses are inflatable/deflatable, which means they can be stowed in a very small space - 1/8th or 1/10th the space of the Sporta's. They are also highly water resistant, and dry very fast (faster than the Sunrella covers on the other seats by far). Belowdecks, they can be used as a matress for the spare "company" bunk, while in the cockpit (or even below), when rigged in the Chair Kit, they provide the same functionality as the bulkier Sport-A-Seats. <

I was just about to make some cockpit cushions from a kit-you send the template and they cut everything, you just sew it together.  ($20 squ/ft) But the air matress  sounds very appealing.
Question: the cockpit seats on my boat are narrow at one end, wide at the other, can these matresses be trimmed or how do you hadle this?

Oded Kishony

~~ __/) ~~

Zen

I see Worst Marine has a new seat out. Simliar to the Sport a seat, which is a copy of it and their old seat. Which was not as good I think as the Sport -a-seat. I purchased one ( the old one) and sent it back and got my S-A-S. I will check out thier new seat maybe tomorrow on the way down to s/v-zen. I'll give a report on it. They will most liking say they do not have in store , I have to order  :-[

Ah, I see what Cpt K was refering to:
Crazy Creek Longback Air™ Chair With Microfleece
Item Number: 41256

This is what I was thinking for a 2nd chair for Lady Zen. adjustable back, easy to store, half the price of the S-A-S, floats.

Hmmm will it blow overboard?

Just what I had in mind and save $$
I did not know about the blow-up ones. Looks interesting w/the high back. The NEW WM is also High back and on sale for the same price.
hhmmm

more to think on...I have reached the end of my spending boat budget for this year , as far as goodies...well,  After I get the solar vent I have my eye on.  ;)

oded kishony

Hey Zen,

I have a solar vent on my boat but it's stopped working-have you ever tried to rebuild one? Seems ridiculous for those things to cost $$$, the motor cots about $2 and the pv cell about $.05
Why do they cost so much?

Oded

~~ __/) ~~

Zen

Oded,

good point! This willl be my first. The solar cells are suppose to last yrs ( the bigs ones yrs & yrs), the motor a magnet seems like it should not be that big of a deal to make /repair one. Unless the case breaks, which some are made of Stainless should last longer than the boat.

Seems like it should be an easy science project, like a cystal radio we made back in school once upon a time.

The guy in the slip next to me ( 31 Hunter sail from Hawaii ) said he had one and loved it. However he did say had...I did not go into deails with him as we were standing in the rain  :D

Zen

So  CaptK ,
I guess the question for you is, DO you  :'( miss the Sport-A-Seat or are you happy  ;D
with the replacement? Would you do it again?

Zen

Now you got me thinking, seems like, it should not be that hard to repair.
maybe radio shack has some misc part that can be adapted.

Zen

Ok, I went by WM today and checked out there new high backseat ( the Sport-a -seat copy ).

It is better than their first try. The adjustments are better, it has a headrest cushion, much more comfortable on sale for $49.00  ( 1/2 off )til Jan 31.
HOWEVER the thing is huge! Way too big for my boat. No way would I want two of those things! For a big boat or one without storage issues it is nice.

For me I think the sport-a-seat is still the best bet.

With the camping seat that CaptnK uses a second.

I'm still leaning toward the inflautable one, he suggested, i like the easy of storage, if it is comfortable.

since things are quiet from the good Captn, perhaps he is out sailing this weekend with the crew dogs.

I just came in from doing some boat projects...

CapnK

Oded - sorry I haven't made it down to this section in a while!

I dont think you could trim the mattresses easily. However, if you did -

They are a layer of foam between skins of airtight nylon material. Cut them a half-inch larger than what you need for a final dimension, clean a half inch of foam out of the middle, then bond the edges back together very well, and I think it would work. :D Yeah, its a hack, but it might work...

Like I said originally, the Sport-A-Seats *are* nice. They are just too big for me on my boat, stowage wise, so that's why I opted for the smaller option. I am happy with it, it's just another compromise. :)

A possible source for solar parts: Edmund Scientific, sort of a hobbyist shop for science experiments. Google 'em, I bet they have a site. :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

So Lady Zen and I just came back from shopping at the Japanese market. While she was getting things, I'm lookng around and see this poster on the wall of these chairs that look JUST like Sport-a-Seat, except the fabric is different, patterns, colors. I reading the info folding, steel frame, lays flat, waterproof indoor/ outdoor. I'm think wow!, then the price $49.00. I go whoa.
I bring over Lady Zen and show her, she says yeah , we used these alot in Japan. I go  :o

I call over the owner , can you order these or have in stock? No, he says, I do not think they even have them any more.This is an old sign. I will check with the rep. They did not sell real well here, because not too many people sit on the floor here.

I thought these Sport-a-Seats were a new boat item, but they are a copy of a Japanese home product, that found a market  for boat folks.

Learned something new today, well two things, Bravo Zulu in civilain means Very Well Done, or Totally Bitchin dude  ;D