1960 Cheoy Lee 25 Frisco Flyer for sale in Austin, TX $2900

Started by w00dy, September 10, 2010, 07:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

Hey guys
I found the ad for this old boat on SailingTexas
http://www.sailingtexas.com/scheoylee25101.html

Anyway, the price grabbed my attention, so I took off for an afternoon to have a look at her. I quickly shied away once I realized the amount of work that would be necessary to bring her back. I have no illusions about the amount of effort that wooden boats require of their owners. She's been sitting, unloved for a while, from the looks of it. And I already have one boat too many.

Here's a link to the photos that I took when inspecting her:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jmwoodring/CheoyLee#

Still, she could be resurrected to her former beauty, with enough time and money.
The little diesel engine runs well, at least.  The sail inventory includes a stunning two sails, main and jib. The deck, cabin, and cockpit all need serious attention. I found several cracked frames, and the rudder has rotted in half, so that would also need to be replaced. It is going to need some serious work, to say the least.

I must also report that the seller left a very negative impression in my mind. He seemed very bitter about the fact that no one wanted to buy his boat. Several times  he made condescending remarks about people who kept wasting his time when they didn't know anything about wooden boats. Understandable, I guess, but then he apparently didn't know much about taking care of this one...as the boat was uncovered and on it's way to rot from rain. He told me there was a boom tent/rain cover for the boat, but he had made no effort to put it on...so it seems that he has given up on caring for this boat....

So, if you're looking for a project to last you a while, this could be the one for you. If you were handy, you could even have her sailing by next season.

I'm not sure how the build boats in Hong Kong, but I guess the Cheoy Lee name has stood the test of time. One of my friends from Maryland has a 41 ft Cheoy sloop that he complains about a lot, but I think he's proud of it too. The "Pacific Clipper" seems to be basically a Folkboat, though the designs were modified in later production cycles. Apparently, this particular boat has crossed the Pacific, though whether that was in a crade on a ship or on it's own, I can't say :)

rorik

I had the identical boat, but a 1959 vintage. The boat is very well made and will sail exactly like a Folkboat - Flyers being Cheoy Lee's carvel version of that design.
The hull is planked in full length teak, copper riveted to Ipol frames with a Yacal keel, stem and horn timber. The deck and coachroof are plywood on teak beams. Very easy to handle 7/8 rig.
It is a lot of work to restore a boat in this shape..... but worth every minute once you're done.
When I bought my `59, she was in roughly the same condition.
The cracked frames at the turn of the bilge are easy to sister with steamed white oak.
On mine, I replaced all the deck beams with oversized Honduras Mahogany and 1088 grade marine ply. Replaced the coaming, winch bases with HM, toe rail and  rub rail with Jatoba, made samson posts fore and aft with Purpleheart. New Spruce boom, spreaders and jumper struts. New cabin sole in Yellowheart. New coach roof in 1088 grade ply. The list is much longer, but that should give an idea.
Took sails from a Folkboat - they fit perfectly.
Given her size, semi displacement hull and relatively small sail area she was fast, nimble and mostly dry on deck.
If you want a small seaworthy boat that is easy to scull.....  buy her!
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....