News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

observations

Started by jdsackett, September 25, 2010, 11:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdsackett

As a person who has been boat hunting this summer, i would like to submit some of my observations in the hope that it will help out others in my situation. As with any endevour, it is helpful, almost crucial, to understand the vernacular of the trade. Such as "Cream puff", "Low Miles", "owned by a little old lady from vegas who only drove it to bingo on saturday night", when looking for a car. Well boys and girls, there are also certain phrases you have to be aware of when looking for a suitable sailing vessel. While not a comprehensive list, what follows are definitions of the ones i have seen most often. Here goes.

"Great livaboard!"= Hasn't been out of the slip in ten years. Motheaten sails, seagull poop holding rigging together, sheets and halyards rotted away years ago.

"New cabin cushions"= Hatches, ports, and chainplates leak like a sieve and ruined the old ones.

"Could use a little TLC"= Tons of Loose Cash.

"Needs a good cleaning"= Don't even think about stepping onboard until (A) all your shots are current. (B) Are wearing a full haz-mat suit with oxygen source. (C) Enter number for C.D.C. on your speed dial.

"Newer sails"= Boat is 30 years old, sails are twenty years old.

"Newer rigging"= See above.

"A-4 needs a tune-up"= Spark plugs rusted to the head, distributer cap cracked, can't find the coil, #3 plug wire missing which is okay because #3 won't hold compression anyway.

"New outboard and mount"= inboard froze so tight you couldn't turn it over if you filled the cylinders with nitro.

"About ready for bottom paint"= Three inches of unidentifiable aquatic lifeforms attached to hull. See "Needs a good cleaning".

"Turn key"= Sails, halyards, sheets, rigging shot, but engine runs, kinda.

"Sail away condition"= Sails and rigging servicable, engine doesn't run.

"Top end of engine rebuilt"= Air filter changed, head repainted.

"Recent overhaul"= Air and fuel filters changed. Engine degreased and painted.

Well, that about covers what i have learned this summer. Sorry about the long post, but as they say, if it will help just one person, it's worth it. Like i said, it is far from a complete list, but hopefully will help some of you out. Best regards, J.D.

s/v Faith

;D

Thanks for sharing a summer worth of accumulated wisdom...

Good luck on your quest.

Quote from: jdsackett on September 25, 2010, 11:31:11 AM
As a person who has been boat hunting this summer, i would like to submit some of my observations in the hope that it will help out others in my situation. As with any endevour, it is helpful, almost crucial, to understand the vernacular of the trade. Such as "Cream puff", "Low Miles", "owned by a little old lady from vegas who only drove it to bingo on saturday night", when looking for a car. Well boys and girls, there are also certain phrases you have to be aware of when looking for a suitable sailing vessel. While not a comprehensive list, what follows are definitions of the ones i have seen most often. Here goes.

"Great livaboard!"= Hasn't been out of the slip in ten years. Motheaten sails, seagull poop holding rigging together, sheets and halyards rotted away years ago.

"New cabin cushions"= Hatches, ports, and chainplates leak like a sieve and ruined the old ones.

"Could use a little TLC"= Tons of Loose Cash.

"Needs a good cleaning"= Don't even think about stepping onboard until (A) all your shots are current. (B) Are wearing a full haz-mat suit with oxygen source. (C) Enter number for C.D.C. on your speed dial.

"Newer sails"= Boat is 30 years old, sails are twenty years old.

"Newer rigging"= See above.

"A-4 needs a tune-up"= Spark plugs rusted to the head, distributer cap cracked, can't find the coil, #3 plug wire missing which is okay because #3 won't hold compression anyway.

"New outboard and mount"= inboard froze so tight you couldn't turn it over if you filled the cylinders with nitro.

"About ready for bottom paint"= Three inches of unidentifiable aquatic lifeforms attached to hull. See "Needs a good cleaning".

"Turn key"= Sails, halyards, sheets, rigging shot, but engine runs, kinda.

"Sail away condition"= Sails and rigging servicable, engine doesn't run.

"Top end of engine rebuilt"= Air filter changed, head repainted.

"Recent overhaul"= Air and fuel filters changed. Engine degreased and painted.

Well, that about covers what i have learned this summer. Sorry about the long post, but as they say, if it will help just one person, it's worth it. Like i said, it is far from a complete list, but hopefully will help some of you out. Best regards, J.D.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

jdsackett

Faith, your'e welcome, and thank you. actually i think my quest may soon be over. found a really nice ericson 26 with newer sails and rigging.... ;D