6 Hours on the Dinghy, or 1 Adult and 4 Children Go Exploring

Started by Captain Smollett, October 19, 2010, 02:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I had agreed to watch a friend's children yesterday, and they happen to live about an hour upriver (by dinghy).  So, my children and I got underway about noon yesterday, eating a lunch of fruit and sandwiches as we went.  The day was a beautiful mid-70's, very light breeze from the W and the kind of crystal blue sky that gives the term "Carolina Blue" its meaning.

We arrived at the Wilson Creek bridge an hour later.  The 2.5 HP Suzuki made "short work" of the trip - the last time we had been up that way, it took me a touch over 3 hours to paddle the canoe to the same spot. Whether paddling, rowing, motoring or even sailing, my daughter cannot resist singing out "peep peep peep" as we pass the osprey nests atop almost every daymark.

"The Girls" embarked, and though it took a few minutes to work out the sitting and stowage arrangements for 1 adult and 4 children on a 9 ft dinghy, we got underway with little additional fuss.  The first 20 minutes or so was just motoring down to our exploration spot, a side creek that runs off Hayward Creek right at the mouth.  On the way, The Girls delighted in passing the houses of people they know, seeing them from the water side for the first time.

We rounded the bend at the mouth of the unnamed creek and slowed down to see what wildlife might be present.  It did not take long to spot our first turtle of the day, which was a big hit since The Girls used to have a pet turtle.  Aloft, circling at higher altitude than the turkey vultures (which, I learned on this trip, also go by the initials "TV") were some gulls and we also saw one bird fly away that I could not make out well enough to identify.  It was largish, with long, narrow and pointy wings, lighter in color a longish neck (not so long as an egrit or heron) with a long beak.  Hmmm.  Too far off to get a decent picture.

The children kept begging me to kill the engine, though the creek was still rather wide with long straight stretches, but eventually I did.  I think we were past 10 or so turtles by this point, and one of The Girls reported "a head" while peering at the marsh grass through her binoculars.  I did not see it, but would guess it was either a river otter or a muskrat, though a raccoon is also a possibility.

I finally succumbed to the urgent requests to kill the 'noise maker' so we could better sneak up on whatever creatures were living in that wild area (less than 1/2 mile from developed "town.")  This is rather funny, since four children are not exactly "quiet."  They busied themselves by dragging feet in the water and catching (and comparing) leaves and other forest detritus that floated by.  My rowing speed was well less than one knot.

Over the next 1/2 hour or so, we got a good look at one Great Blue Heron, a couple of deer (as they beat feet away from us) and yes, more turtles.  Many turtles.  I also heard reports of "snake" at least three times, but never with distress - more of an idle curiosity, really - though I did not see them.  Fish jumping in front of the boat as we 'drifted' (rowing lazily is little more than drifting with steering) was also a highlight.  Finally, alas, we were turned back with plenty of width and depth to continue by fallen tree and its attendant underwater snags.

We left the creek a different way than we entered, thus doing three sides of the circumnavigation of a small marsh island (we would complete the fourth side on the return trip), and continued up the Trent river toward the canal that leads to the town of River Bend.  The canal runs alongside homes with docked boats, and I quickly learned that The Girls have FAR different "taste" in boats than I do.  Several small "disagreements" regarding the lines of Bayliners and other runabouts punctuated our trip up the canal.  My comment of "too expensive to feed" by way outlining why I personally dislike the one boat with twin 250's on the stern led them to ask, for each boat we saw thereafter, "how much does THAT one drink?"  We'll gladly call that a schoolwork lesson for the day (they too are home schooled), since 'gallons per hour' became a normal part of their lexicon by the time our trip was done.

Docking at the $5 per shot boat ramp in River Bend, we first found a bathroom, then proceeded to TRY to locate someone at the restaurant/store...Apparently, "Open 9 am - 10 pm" does NOT mean open at 4:00 in the afternoon.   ::)

A short walk up the road got us to the "Deli and Store" where we bought drinks and ice cream treats.  Then it was back aboard our cruising vessel for the return trip.  I had planned to take them back down river closer to town, but when I called their Mom to arrange their pick-up, I learned that they actually had somewhere they had to be at 5:00 pm.  So, I returned them to the Wilson Creek bridge (hopefully with time to spare to get them to their event).

On the return trip back to the marina, my daughter drove most of the way, and I found that if I sit forward while she drives, we pick up an addition 0.6-0.7 knots (at half throttle).  It was actually very nice and relaxing (except those couple of times she was heading straight for a dock with no sign of correcting, but those were rare enough) to kick back and let her drive the boat.  What a joy!!

My son had to have his turn, too, and for five years old, he did well, also.  He got us to the big Hwy 17 bridge over the Trent River, and I took us through the bridge.  A few minutes later we were back tied alongside the big boat, getting in just under 6 hours since we had left.

It was a joy for me to spend the day letting the sights of land, water and sky be the classroom for four inquisitive, bright, vibrant and energetic children...and our six hours and 16 nautical miles cost less than one gallon of gasoline. 

I had wondered if The Girls really enjoyed themselves, but I got my answer moments from landing at the bridge where they would get off...one asked, "Can we do this again?" 

When I said "yes," she followed with, "Tomorrow?"
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

Quote from: Auspicious on October 19, 2010, 03:22:08 PM
What a wonderful afternoon.

Who pray tell was the adult?

I refuse to believe there was any adult supervision at all on that boat.  ;D

I can not believe your son is 5 already!  How on earth did that happen?

What a wonderful adventure!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

;D

Adult by years, at least.  I DID turn 45 recently, after all.   :o

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Having met your two,  I can imagine the fun going on in that dinghy.

45?? I kinda sorta recall being that young. Hey- that was five years before Laura and I first got together- grin!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on October 19, 2010, 07:17:43 PM
Having met your two,  I can imagine the fun going on in that dinghy.

45?? I kinda sorta recall being that young. Hey- that was five years before Laura and I first got together- grin!

;D

Well, in hindsight I am wondering if rather than "adult," it would have been better to have said "fully  grown," as in taking up MORE ROOM on the dink.

;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

boblamb

I really enjoyed the great trip report, Captain!  Your kids are making a lifetime of memories...good on ya for exposing them to the "real" world.

BobL
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

Oldrig

Hey Cap'n,

Thanks for the evocative cruise report. Your kids are so lucky to be growing up with all that boating/living experience! What a gift for them.

The weather was beautiful up here in the soon-to-be-frozen north, too. Unfortunately, instead of sailing, I was busy stripping my boat's sails and stowing the boom for haulout.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

maxiSwede

Quote from: Oldrig on October 20, 2010, 12:13:59 PM

The weather was beautiful up here in the soon-to-be-frozen north, too. Unfortunately, instead of sailing, I was busy stripping my boat's sails and stowing the boom for haulout.

--Joe

That's the saddest day in a sailor's year.

Very nice tale capt'nSmollett

thanks for sharing. Stories like that makes me feel warm and nice 'inboards'
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Jim_ME

Great story, John. Seems like an afternoon and gallon of fuel well invested.