S/V Raw Faith abandoned southeast of Nantucket

Started by Jim_ME, December 09, 2010, 03:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

I just heard about this on the NPR news and found this article...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2010/12/08/coast_guard_aids_crew_on_disabled_sailboat_off_nantucket/

and...

http://bernews.com/2010/12/video-crew-aboard-wooden-boat-rescued/

My first reaction was to be glad that the crew was safely rescued.

Others are that it is sad to see such a noble endeavor--sailing for the disabled--come to such an end.

And that this is perhaps another example of sheer size not necessarily always translating into seaworthiness.

[Edit to add link to another article...]
http://nasailor.com/2010/12/09/homemade-schooner-headed-to-bermuda-sinks-off-nantucket/

Godot

Raw Faith was an interesting design.  Not interesting in the "I would like to be involved in that" sense; more interesting as in train wreck interesting.  A noble idea; but an unfortunately incompetent execution.  It was, apparently, built without plans; but instead with the belief that God was the Naval Architect and would guide the construction.  If God was involved at all, it was probably to ensure that the Raw Faith was deposited safely on the ocean bottom where it couldn't due too much damage.   Really too bad.  I'd love to see an amateur project like this successfully pulled off.   

I'm really surprised that they where attempting to sail her to Bermuda double handed.  Even if she was well found and sweet sailing, it seems that a crew of only two is asking too much.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm wrong.

There is a lot of scorn for this project all over the web.  But this guy was willing to go out and risk everything on a project he believed in, which I think is worth a lot.  I'm astounded, frankly, that it was ever finished at all.  It's just too bad that he hadn't thought it out a bit more and gotten some competent help in the design and construction.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Jim_ME

This reminds me of the ill-fated maiden voyage of the Schooner John F. Leavitt from about 30 years ago...although that schooner was well designed and built...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Faunce_Leavitt#Fate_of_the_Schooner_John_F._Leavitt

carl762

His boat looked like a wreck just waiting to happen and it did.  Shame, either way, but at least he's alive. 

Sundance 23 - inSanity

mrb

On another site there is a lot of postings basically daming the guy to ell,  I posted questioning the ill feelings to another sailor and realy raised a hornets nest.  Funny, I'm sure most of you fellows are much better sailors than other site but have shone more empathy for an ill fated venture.  grog to you all

mrb

One thing that bothers me is the outcry from righteous boaters for more regulation after incidents like this, as if they can't take care of themselves they need the government to think for them, and unfortunately me and you.

s/v Faith

Quote from: mrb on December 09, 2010, 07:59:33 PM
On another site there is a lot of postings basically daming the guy to ell,  I posted questioning the ill feelings to another sailor and realy raised a hornets nest.  Funny, I'm sure most of you fellows are much better sailors than other site but have shone more empathy for an ill fated venture.  grog to you all

I have noticed this too.

I will say something pretty strong about that.

Those who would do as this are either arm chair sailors who have never, and will never go anywhere,
or they are fools who will follow and one day become humbled... if they live through the experience that does it. 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Bill NH

Quote from: mrb on December 10, 2010, 10:59:57 AM
One thing that bothers me is the outcry from righteous boaters for more regulation after incidents like this, as if they can't take care of themselves they need the government to think for them, and unfortunately me and you.

People forget that they are not just risking their own lives.  Unfortunately, ill-conceived and poorly executed schemes like this risk the lives of those who are called on to bail them out.  Every year professional rescuers are needlessly injured or killed saving unprepared people's bacon from the frying pan.

In the mountains, many countries require climbers to either have insurance or bear the full costs of their rescue.  It wouldn't surprise me if this happens on the water soon as well.  New Zealand already inspects departing yachts for safety equipment...  If Raw Faith had to pass an insurance survey she would have never left the dock.  And a crew of two?  With two lifekackets, one survival suit and a handheld VHF for a winter trip to Bermuda?  Come on...

Unseaworthy vessels like this that are constantly being rescued also give a black eye in the field of public perception to the professionally run sail training programs operating similar sized but much more seaworthy vessels...

Just my $0.02
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

CapnK

Video from USCG rescue op:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpSCGz6zzFc&feature=player_embedded

It's pretty apparent from the exaggerated roll that she was toting a few tons of water in the hull at the time... I'd want to get off of there, too.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Oldrig

I'm with Bill on this one.

This Raw Faith fiasco has been building for several years--long enough so we would occasionally run articles about it in my former magazine.

If I remember correctly, the vessel was impounded in Camden, Maine, for a while because the Coast Guard Port Captain would not let it leave.

It was "rescued" at least twice before.

It's always a tragedy to see somebody's dream sink below the seas, but at least nobody was hurt. That vessel, interesting though it was, was not seaworthy IMHO.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627