Previous topic - Next topic

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

SalientAngle

most excellent, Paul... should be perfect for the great loop !!!

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

w00dy

Is your boat OK? Being frozen in, I guess she can't sink? Also, is your boat the only one left in the marina, or is everything just blanketed in snow? Stay warm!

skylark

I can't tell much, it is still frozen in the ice.  If it thaws a bit, I will be able to learn more.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Quote from: skylark on March 10, 2014, 12:42:56 PM
Encased in Ice

http://youtu.be/EYItVbhvDLw

Ok, this brings up something that has been on my mind this morning.

We've had a fairly nasty, cold damp winter down here. The Houston area, just a few hours east of me, has had SEVEN episodes of freezing rain so far this winter- absolutely unheard of for here, and here at my house we have  had the cold slow drizzles, with LOTS of wind. Temps in the lower 30's, wind chills as low as 16F. Seemingly for weeks.

Nothing like folks up north have every year, (thanks be) but-

I'm about to go postal with our weather. Seriously affecting my moods- lack of warm and sun

So my question, seriously is- How on EARTH do you people up there survive through months of this poop???? And stay sane?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

Its not easy, at first it is nice to stay inside and read a book by the fire or whatever, but eventually everybody goes crazy with cabin fever.  This winter has been tough, heavy, heavy snows one after another.  About wore out my snowblower.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

DarrenC

I second Skylark's sentiments.  Worst winter I can remember in my life.  No place left to even put snow.  I have a bank at the end of my driveway that's like a mini matterhorn and backing out is a leap of faith. 

Cabin fever to the extreme, compounded by the fact that I fell very ill and have been on bedrest since before Christmas until last week.  In answer to the question as to what keeps me sane through the freeze:

Herreshoff

Slocum

O'Brian

Small Craft Advisor

Good Old Boat

The wondrous Internet

...and most of all my ADD-riddled imagination!   ;D

Spring can't come soon enough  I'm still a couple of weeks away from even being able to easily access my boat!  Aaaargh!

s/v Carita
Moorman Annapolis 26
Kingston, ON
Canada

"When a man has the helm of his own vessel, a cooler of beer and a partner who tolerates his nonsense, why envy the immortal gods?" - Adapted from Lao T'zu

skylark

The ice in the river broke up and was pushed out to Lake Michigan, and my boat is still there!

http://youtu.be/08bHHKpYEFY
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Now THAT would be scary. I've got one pic of Tehani with snow in her cockpit, but she was on land. 2004 ;)

Hope it's all ok
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

Went back today and sponged out a couple 20 buckets.  Hull seems to be OK.  There is some cleanup needed, the outboard bracket was ripped off by the ice, and the rudder is suspect.  But she is floating on her lines.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

skylark

http://youtu.be/ieBDaIfEicM

The boat seems OK, a little worse for wear and tear, but still a usable boat.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan