News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Engine Pull Thoughts

Started by Greenman, October 29, 2010, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenman

Well, I just found out my old Yanmar SVE-8 in pretty much pooched. The crank is corroded beyond repair and on a 36 year old motor, it is looking pretty bad finding a new one.

On a positive note, I will soon have a shiny new Tohatsu 9.8 HP 25" shaft outboard. Also I get to glass over a few more holes in the hull.

I am very sad to be giving up the ability to motor for dozens of hours on a small tank of fuel, but I guess I will have to learn how to wait for the wind.

I am curious though, what kind of fuel economy should I expect from a new 9.8 hp motor? I am sure there are dozens of variables, but there must be some basic ideas out there?

Its going on a H27 at about 8500 Lbs.

Thanks for all the info.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Captain Smollett

Stab in the dark, but something in ballpark of 1/2 gallon per hour, but maybe as much as one gallon per hour.  I think that would be on high side, though.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

We use a Yamaha 8 hp 4 stroke on Tehani. We figure her at 7500, 7800 pounds with a full cruise load aboard. Many hours of experience with this engine.

We normally obtain cruise speed of about 5 running below the start setting on the engine. Standard prop, not a high thrust. I'd guess we are running at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Basically at a high idle.

Our normal fuel consumption is roughly a 6 gallon tank every 7-8 hours. I KNOW we can run 15 hours on 2 6 gallon tanks. Say above 1/2 gallon per hour, but less than 3/4 gallon.

It lives in a well and we are totally happy with it, except that the foot has to stay wet all the time, so we have to keep it antifouled, but unfortunately the good antifouling for aluminum lower units isn't available anymore (TBT) so I dive and scrub every few weeks.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Greenman

Alright, thanks very much, I am in the process of reading the exceptionally long thread about fuel/outboards etc.

I certainly can't justify 7k for a new inboard, so it will certainly have to be an outboard. Thanks again.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca