News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

the atom stove

Started by sailor-dave, June 08, 2011, 09:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailor-dave

I need a stove! I like the idea of kerosene and had have pretty much decided that's what its gonna be. I like the atom stove but i cant get any email reply from him. Its been weeks now. Is this normal? The taylor stoves are very nice as well but its 1400 bucks for the ideal-k. Any other options out there im not getting at.

s/v Faith

James is a super great guy.

I was not aware he had started selling them again... Did you use the email on his site?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

sailor-dave

Yes i used the address on his site and it said they were available.

CharlieJ

You might also try Basecamp.UK

I don't have the exact web address on this phone, but that's where I get stove parts.

There was a post by Skylark that gave the whole URL.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

atomvoyager

sailor-dave

This may be too late to help you but someone just today alerted me to your post here. I'm receiving and answering all my emails sent to yachtatom (at) hotmail.com so most likely your email program has issues.

Anyway, I do have one voyager kit available and in the last two weeks have had two different buyers say they want it but no money got sent yet... so I may or may not have one left soon. You can try to contact me again if you want. Don't know when or if I'll make any more but I'll continue with spares support for past customers. It's too bad my design is not very afforable to fabricate once you consider all the time involved.

http://atomvoyages.com/projects/AtomStovePriceList.htm

Last month a crew on a pearson triton sailed through here who could not afford my kit so I had them order one from St Pauls and we took a 10" wide boiling pot and converted it to a gimbaled pot holder. I'll try to get a picture of it up on my stove page sometime.

James B

atomvoyager

The last stove kit is sold. I'll keep one sample kit in stock in case somebody wants details to copy its design or maybe later I'll use it as a sample to make some more.

James B

tomwatt

1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Kirkalittle

Hi there, I just spoke with James a few days ago and he indicated that he might not be available to answer emails for a while so that might be why you are not getting a reply from him.  FYI, I am a happy owner / user of the Atom Stove, have been using it full time for over 2 years, just be sure you have PLENTY of spare parts if you plan to sail far away and use it full time!!  -Kirk on Salsa.
Kirk Little, Alberg 30 # 504 "Salsa"

sailor-dave

Its was I that bought the last stove. Sometimes when I'm at work offshore my emails wont go out. I cant wait to get home and try it out but I am stuck offshore for an extra 2 weeks running a supply boat in the gulf....gotta fill that kitty!!! I guess I'll have to load up on some spare parts when i get home, I'm planning on sailing far and wide.

Oldrig

Quote from: sailor-dave on July 23, 2011, 04:41:23 AM
I'm planning on sailing far and wide.

Atta boy, Dave.

That's the SailFar spirit. Keep us posted.

Fair winds,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

marujo_sortudo

I do wonder if any adventurous DIYer could make a boat stove using one of these:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/gourmet-cooking/dragonfly/product

I've used one for camping for years, but I'm unsure of how it would stand up to the salt air.  Still, for the price (~$120) you could buy replacements when needed and keep plenty of spares around. Obviously, you'd need to make any gimbals, a sturdier pot holder, and an appropriate reflector that would catch any spills/priming fuel.  I think skylark's photo provides some interesting inspiration there.  A plus to this stove is that it can burn just about any liquid fuel you can get your hands on and well.  Of course, whether you'd want to use just anything is another question.  The lack of ventilation on a boat vs a campsite makes some fuels less attractive.

tomwatt

I've pondered doing something along that line... although my most serious consideration goes towards a Primus Omnifuel (of which I already own the multi-fuel predecessor version), since it will run off Coleman fuel, kerosene, or even bottled fuels like butane and propane.
http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/primus-himalaya-omni.html
It seems to offer the greatest versatility among small stoves... mounted in a swing arrangement as is suggested would certainly expand your options.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.