News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bottom Paint OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Mr. Fixit, August 04, 2011, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

Well next week i have to order bottom paint---i will have my old paint stripped down to the Barrier coat Interlux 2000--- i think. Not sure what i will use yet, but i know it is one of those subjects that the more i research i do --the more confusing it will be. I do not mind diving on the hull and will probably use a "hard non abative type". I thought i might try mixing my own using epoxy and copper flakes--there was a fellow up in Maine selling copper and epoxy--Epoxy may be more forgiving on the time boat is out of the water---decisions,decisions, decisions.

CharlieJ

I have had great success with Pettitt ACP 60 or it's new name.

Twice i got three years between haulouts, in warm southern waters. Which makes it a quite inexpensive costly paint. Saving two haulouts is worth a good bit.

Oh- it's an ablative- i use nothing else.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

mitiempo

Ablative paint doesn't build up and have to be removed as hard paint does. People around here (Victoria) usually put one color on and cover it with another for the final coats. That way you can see easily when it has worn down to the last coat.

As far as the copper in epoxy goes, it is not just the copper but it has to leech out to be effective.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

Mr. Fixit

Charlie--how many coats did you apply???

okawbow

I like Pettit Hydrocoat. It's cheaper, and is water based, so it's nicer to work with. If you haul once a year. it might be a good choice.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

mitiempo

3 coats is adequate. As it constantly wears away exposing new paint more coats will last longer.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

CharlieJ

We get two coats from a gallon each time. Last haulout, after three years, I really could have relaunched, except for a few spots.

I really the stuff.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

boblamb

Why, oh, why, hasn't someone invented an application that can be applied underwater???  We live in the most advanced technological culture in all human history.  Looks like some wise sailor techy could do this.  Is the salt smarter than the sailor??????

Jus Wishin' and Wonderin!
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

LooseMoose

LanoCote makes a bottom coating that can be applied underwater... I've actually heard from some people who are quite happy with it's anti-fouling performance.

Bob

http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

Chattcatdaddy

You asked for it and someone delivered. ;D

Wonder how it stacks up? Enviromental concerns?
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Seafarer

Coppercoat is a copper/epoxy based system with a 10-year guarantee! I'm saving up to put this on Starquest. Until then I'll scrape the bottom at least monthly!