Afriend gave me a coronado 27

Started by hearsejr, September 25, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hearsejr

OK I have a yahoo Cornado yachts group and a fella on there had a run of bad luck. his '73 Coronado 27 got caught under the Pier  in  a storm, and sunk. they raised it the next day and the cleat was torn out  leaving a gapping hole on the starboard side. they have the plug that pulled out. the floats and sails.
the insurance didn't trash it, and the guy cleaned it up, pulled the rudder and the paddle wheel for the speed meter off the hull.  none of it was damaged.  the guy put her on the hard and started cleaning and removed the cushions.
then his wife asked for a divorce, and with all the bills and he has the kids full time for now  and he is getting ready to be deployed again (he's a military dude) he just doesn't have time or money to fixer up and get her ship shaped.
He was on the verge of scraping her because the limited time he had. left on the storage. it's paid up till the end of Nov. and then he'll have to pay for another 6 months. I like the boat but don't need another one, but I was willing to move her and try to fix her up just so I could sail around and play in the bay. Chuck said it would OK but he was not planning on getting her back.
 I showed the pics to my friends and they wanted her to learn how to work on boats and learn to sail. kinda make a day sailor and weekender out of her. the good part s the guy is willing to my food and gas and I bring her down from Goose Bay on the Potomac to NC. they also will provide a crewman to help.
the upside for me is I get to use their boat to cruise the bay and go to the places I wanted to go, and see some old friends. the down side is it's not a paying gig and I'll have to find a vhf radio and new cushions. I'm thinking I can find an old couch and salvage the cushions. the VHF is going to be tricky though
I know it ain't no cruise ship ride, but at least I'll able get a free use of a sailboat for a month or so.