News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Vega

Started by Pappy Jack, August 06, 2011, 10:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pappy Jack

Here is the first in a series of Youtube videos of a man and wife (and cat) that sailed from Hawaii to Seattle then to San Francisco then back to Hawaii on a Vega. There are about 87 videos or so starting two years ago. http://www.youtube.com/user/vega1860#p/u/80/tQY3fiqrKDE  Some of them are a little boring IMHO but still worth watching.

Fair winds and full sails,

Pappy Jack

Godot

I watched them all. Takes awhile, though. Could have skipped the puke shot at the end of every video.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

skylark

I am watching the series.

Some things that I learned:

For a northern passage, a cabin heater is important especially if your body is used to the tropics, and to dry things out

If you are going for a long passage, get a windvane

It would be good to have a rig set up and ready to be installed that would allow for a small stay forward of the mast, with a small jib, and with backstays.  This sail would allow heaving to if there was a problem with the normal jib

Grundens are good, make sure they are oversize so they are easy to put on and take off, apparently this takes a lot of effort and time on the off watch

Don't get a dinette model, you need bunks on both sides

Rig a line to control the tiller from the companionway

Have a good dodger

Take extra food and water, two or three times what you would need for a normal passage

Take a lot of good books

Have alkaline battery powered gps and vhf in case the solar panels don't charge the main batteries enough

Good humor, confidence and kindness are important to get through the tough days

Most importantly, have a good captainess
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Godot

I believe the dinette is a modification, not stock. Since it is primarily a liveaboard, it probably makes the most sense most of the time (that is, while not on passage).

A dodger would have been high on my list (I believe they've since added one). As would a backup self steering system; although they seemed okay for the most part with a tied off rudder.

They had no problem maintaining their sense of humor!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Godot on August 31, 2011, 11:26:49 AM

Since it is primarily a liveaboard, it probably makes the most sense most of the time (that is, while not on passage).

This is certainly a philosophical question, and one I've tried to address several times (with limited success).

We've lived aboard for just under three years.  I've often been asked "why don't you" x, y or z "to make your boat more comfortable?"  My answer has always been "because she's a sailboat FIRST.  That's her job."

I've generally adopted the attitude that creature comfort usually takes a back seat to at-sea safety...hey, it's not like we've been at sea in those three years, but I'm TRYING to build certain habits not only in myself but also in my crew.

If we are used to an 'endless supply' of running water or electricity tied to the dock, doesn't that make for a harder psychological adjustment when we are under way?  I can extend that to general layout of the interior with things like "dinettes" and such.

I've been "vocal" on the forum here against the Beneteau, Catalina and Island Packet corporate decisions (as published in a magazine article on the topic) to focus on 'at the dock' and 'at anchor' comfort and layout.  I admit that this is a VERY PERSONAL decision, but I think that if one plans to use a boat "offshore," the boat had better be set up for THAT mission.

If the boat does not deliver the crew safely to her anchorage or marina, all the creature comforts designed around THAT part of the mission are pointless.

We are in the process removing 3 years of live aboard detritus from the boat...and I cannot BELIEVE the amount of stuff we've accumulated in such a small space.  I shudder to think how much it would have been had we not at least given lip service to avoiding it.

Finally, we did manage to maintain SOME semblance of a state of readiness for the "real thing," as boat Earl last year and Irene this year required only a relatively painless few hours to get the boat ready to anchor out in "survival" conditions.

Again, let me reiterate that I fully acknowledge that this notion of "at port" layout vs "at sea" is a very personal trade-off.  I just personally don't choose to focus on the "time in port" vs "time on passage" as the criterion,

Above offered just for discussion sake, not trying to force me way of looking at things on anyone else...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

There are always compromises, of course.  Most of us can't afford to have a different boat for each different mission.  The fact is this Vega did just fine with only having one sea-berth, especially since there were only two crew members and one was usually on watch.  I'm assuming (I don't recall) that those days where they just battened down and road out the unpleasant weather that one of them probably slept on the floor, which is not a terrible place to be (as long as it is fairly flat and dry).  They aren't full time world travelers, after all (at least, not yet...although it sounds like they have ambitious plans).  Having a table up full time I suspect added noticeably to their comfort, and I think I might do something similar if I was in their shoes.  After all, while she may be a sailboat first, she is also a home, and some concession to comfort is appropriate.

Of course, where that line exists between harbor comfort and sailing comfort is very different for everyone.  As it should be.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem switching between the land of plenty (electricity, water, whatever), and conservation mode; but that could be a personality thing.  Perhaps it is different when training a family.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

s/v Faith

Why do I always feel so self conscience about my built in bread maker?

You guys are so harsh some times....  :P
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Godot on August 31, 2011, 03:11:58 PM
There are always compromises, of course.  Most of us can't afford to have a different boat for each different mission.  The fact is this Vega did just fine with only having one sea-berth, especially since there were only two crew members and one was usually on watch.  I'm assuming (I don't recall) that those days where they just battened down and road out the unpleasant weather that one of them probably slept on the floor, which is not a terrible place to be (as long as it is fairly flat and dry).  They aren't full time world travelers, after all (at least, not yet...although it sounds like they have ambitious plans).  Having a table up full time I suspect added noticeably to their comfort, and I think I might do something similar if I was in their shoes.  After all, while she may be a sailboat first, she is also a home, and some concession to comfort is appropriate.

Of course, where that line exists between harbor comfort and sailing comfort is very different for everyone.  As it should be.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem switching between the land of plenty (electricity, water, whatever), and conservation mode; but that could be a personality thing.  Perhaps it is different when training a family.

;)

I guess the only thing that I would add...if it's really adding at this point...is that I/we did not find our point on the trade-off scale (ie, TRYING to keep a 'sea boat' vs moving into 'creature comfort' ) that bad.  Craig's "reduction of misery principle" helps...we identified, over the course of three years this was VERY fluid, what we needed wanted to address to 'reduce misery' and worked from there.

The contrast is that we did not start with a list of "must haves" to be comfortable.  Recall that we have lived 3 years without any electric refrigeration on the boat...we used an ice box and supplemented storage space with coolers.  Yet I was recently asked "how can you EAT without a fridge?"

I think that's the only point I really feel like harping on nowadays....not what do you or I or the folks on that Vega or anyone else defines as "comfortable enough" or "KISS-ey enough" etc, but my bugaboo is the starting point for the decision process.

Is it better to start with an extensive list of must-haves and cull from the list?

Is it better to start with a Spartan approach and add comforts as need/want arises?

Other?

There's no single right answer that is right for everyone.  But, I do know, from experience (not only these 3 years aboard a mostly KISS boat, but also extended living in a 19 ft camper back when I was single, young and 'energetic') what is the right answer for ME (and now by extension, my family).

My children NEVER complained in 3 years that they were missing anything off the conventional wisdom set of "must haves."  They never seemed unhappy living aboard with no fridge, no running water, no on-demand hot water, etc.  It is my view, at least for MY family, that the 'normal set' of commonly thought creature comfort must-haves are not necessary at all.

And just for completeness, on the issue of conservation...we don't have a problem with the gear-shift on the surface, but it has been my life long observation having had numerous highly dangerous jobs that demand rigorous training (to increase odds of survival) that even little things that you don't perceive on the surface CAN cause stress and distraction when the organism enters "survival mode."  These can add up...and if I can stack my own personal deck, and that of my family, as far in one direction as possible...what's the harm in not having to shift that gear?

In short, we don't have to even think about shifting that gear (conserve water, conserve electrons, etc), cuz we focus on Spartan-eque conservation all the time...even when living ashore in a house.

And bringing it full circle, this is part and parcel to the idea of what creature comforts are "required?"  Our boat was likely the most KISS boat in our marina.  When push came to shove last year and Hurricane Earl preps began in earnest, other live aboards started prepping 4 DAYS before the storm was scheduled to hit...we spent a few hours the day before.  THAT'S the trade-off I focus on, and what gets me through some of those moments of "this is too KISS and uncomfortable."  It was nice to remember that I spread my 'emergency prep' time throughout the year by keeping the boat simpler.

Again...no "right" answer and I'm truly not trying to be preachy...I'm just sounding off some thoughts that this discussion has brought out.

Why do I always feel so self conscience about my built in bread maker?

Reduction of Misery applies.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Children are remarkably adaptable.  I'm glad to hear your chosen life style is working out so well for you and your family.

BTW, for what it's worth, and getting back to the original topic, I really enjoyed the Vega videos (and anxiously wait for them to finish each one...something which takes longer than their actual trip, unfortunately) and wonder how it is they aren't hanging around here on SailFar.  Certainly, they are out doing it, while I'm still only thinking about it.  Major kudos, for that.  Maybe they'll do some videos on their choices of systems and how it's worked out for them.  I'd be interested.  In fact, I may send an email suggesting just such a thing.  Yes, yes I think I will.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

skylark

This is the best sailing video series on the tube.  I was out sick the past two days and looked at every sailing / liveaboard video I could find. Vega is by far the best.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Cruise

Nice videos Pappy. I used to have a Vega that I lived and cruised on for about 10 years.  Great boat.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Pappy Jack

I left an invitation on their Youtube site to join us. I sure hope they do. We might gain some insight to their adventure.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

hearsejr

hey that's Chuck! I watch the videos about a couple of years ago.

nowell

They are pretty active on the Vega users group, and run the North America Vega Association website:

http://americanvega.org/info.html

As for their modifications, my gf and I have been talking about smoe of the same things, but making the table modular so it can still be used as a full sized bunk/bench.

Anyway, great vids, and cool people to talk to!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Vega1860

Hey!  Y'all talking about me? 8) Sorry we didn't get here sooner but, you know how it is.

We are glad you like our videos.  Thanks for the compliments.   We have 101 up now, 102 as soon as I get past the latest software update  ???

Fair Winds

jotruk

welcome aboard and we are looking farward to the next installment of your adventures
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock