News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

BoatPix.com anybody?

Started by Oldrig, September 20, 2011, 10:52:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

Creme Brulee was one of very few boats out on Buzzards Bay on Sunday. The gusty wind blew out of the north, possibly as much as 30 kts. maximum (I've stopped guessing, because it's easy to overestimate), under a cold, gray sky.

She was was heeled over, with the rail almost in the water, under full genny and double-reefed mainsail, when a helicopter started circling the boat. I could see a photographer leaning out the window. I waved. He circled twice, obviously taking lots of pictures.

On the pontoons of the helicopter, in large letters, was the URL www.boatpix.com.

When I got home, I visited the website. The cheapest photo I could find was a 16"-by-20" print for $250! ???

Too bad--I'm sure he got some spectacular shots--but that's a lot of boat bucks, especially this close to haul-out.

I'm curious: Has anybody ever ordered from these folks?

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

JWalker

We had a similar experience, out for a great sail and here comes a chopper....circles us and waves, snaps a bunch of pics.

We couldn't find any prices online so we opted to have then ship up the snaps risk free, if we didn't like them we could send them back, and we pay the return shipping.

we got three prints....large prints. And a price list, and yes $250 is the starting price for ONE print.

I was ready for them to be expensive.....but like $60 or $80 a print, I didn't know they used unobtanium for the paper and ink.

But it wasn't just the price that I was unhappy with, the pics were sub par IMHO.

For one, all three pics were from abeam, on the star board side and the sails looked flat. It was a great sailing day and even if they had taken the shot from slightly further forward it would have shown much better sail shape. I have to say this is the editors fault, because the camera guy took a ton of pictures, so I think these were what was chosen. But still, why send me three shots that all look the same?

For two, they edited the shots in photoshop, badly. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issue with photoshop and think it is a wonderful tool to make celebrities look better then they do, but at least get it right! We had two dock bumpers laying on deck and the lines were tied to the lifelines. They photoshoped out the bumpers, and left two random lines hanging there.

It looked weird, if they had left the bumpers I would have thought nothing of them, but those two lines immediately grabbed my attention and looked out of place.

For three, they sent three pics of me waving. I waved when I realized that they were taking pictures, and then returned to a sailing posture (admittedly sucking in my gut and straitening my back and looking forward in a serious sailing pose ;D)
I stayed in that forward looking state for three more circles of the boat, but was only send three pics with me waving.

They sent me $750 worth of pics in those three sheets of paper.

I sent them all back. ::)

Mario G

LOL they took pictures of or boat, but I knew it was not in boat cost(to say it politly) Thinking now there useing digital there not even wasting film there not out anything. If they gave rides at $30 plus a head and just did pictures when we passed over boats its a good Idea. Now knowing its $250 a print, I think  they need to re-think things.