News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Line Choice for Sheets

Started by Captain Smollett, September 09, 2011, 09:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

We've had some discussion here and there about line choice for halyards (Sta-Set, Sta-Set X, etc), but I don't recall much in the way of sheets.  We handle the sheets a lot more than halyards, so I'd welcome some input on what people choose when they replace running rigging (I have to date used whatever came on the boat for all my sail boats).

Just curious: what lines do you prefer for sheets, so far as 'hand' and long-term durability go?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

okawbow

I like large diameter sheets that are on the soft side. The stiffer line is ok if you wear gloves all the time. 1/2" works well on our big genoa. They can be the cheaper polyester line, because stretch is less a problem in sheets. In fact, I keep the sheets attached permanently to all my hank-on jibs, so I buy farm store line for my less frequently used sails. I use a single line that is doubled and cinched at the clew so there is less chance of a knot hanging up on something.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

marujo_sortudo

For high chafe sheets (such as those going through self-tailing winches, jam cleats, or rubbing against wire rope), I love using polyester line for its chafe resistance and single braid varieties generally have very nice hand.  Mainly for looks, I've been experimenting with three-strand polyester on my genoa sheet, but I see some slight kinks developing in it that I haven't figured out, yet.  I might return to single braid for that eventually.

I've taken a less conventional approach for my staysail and main sheets and used Roblon aka Spunflex (http://www.shipsofwood.com/rope.html) which is essentially UV stabilized polypropylene rope.  Not so great for chafe as polyester, higher stretch, and a less kind hand (though it does seem to improve once in use.)  Advantages?  You have to buy it by the reel, but the per foot cost is quite nice, and it floats.  I really like using it for my main sheet and dinghy painter.  That way, if I need to cut the engine on in a hurry and either is laying in the water, I don't have to worry about them fouling my prop, unless the boat is really pitching or in a big sea state.  Naturally, I try to avoid any such situation, but it's nice if you can react quickly, in need.

The Rigger's Apprentice by Brion Toss has much better and more thorough information on sheet selection, though.  I'd recommend reading it.

rorik

I opted for Samson Ultra-Lite sheets for the jib and asymmetrical. They're very light so they don't drag down the clew in light air, they don't hold water, the hand is OK.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=52748&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=samson_ultra_lite
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....