Another CAG (computer aided grounding)

Started by Michael Homsany, June 20, 2012, 04:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Homsany

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1208528/1/.html

In case you've never seen Late (pronounced like that high-priced coffee-like garbage), it's a pair of volcanic cinder cones, sticking out of the ocean (not significantly different than you'd imagine Madonna floating on her back in the middle of the ocean), very visible, and gives a good radar return, even though their height differs year to year due to its active vulcanism

Late, like many of the smaller islets in the Pacific, will only appear on a chart plotter if you are zoomed up into harbour scale, something not likely to be done during an ocean passage.  It is accurately plotted on the charts, however.

Most likely scenario is that the crew had the chart plotter/GPS interfaced with the autopilot, the watch (if any) was below decks reading, when they t-boned the islet.  This sort of thing is becoming more and more common-place, as fewer and fewer cruisers bother to learn their craft before leaving, and are lulled into a false sense of confidence by salesman.

I believe that they are going to call off the search for bodies shortly.

About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html

CharlieJ

Which is exactly why, running in the Bahamas, when I saw those pretty magenta course lines drawn on the chart, with mag headings for both directions, I moved the boat a mile to port, and then set up my OWN rhumbline.

Too many idiots running with autopilot, linked to GPS, and no one watching.

One day there'll be a head on collision out 30 miles on the Great Bahama Bank when two 50 foot power yachts smack each other. Hopefully they won't hit a sailor.

Really sad to read things like this though. Like the two off California recently. Too many dead for a sport after all.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

I wish I could reproduce the ad in Cruising World, but will just give you the copy and let you imagine the photo background of a boat entering  the Miami coast line with and insert of a Garmin display and this copy below it:

Enter the World of Auto Guidance
Auto Guidance

By adding a BlueChart g2 Vision card to your compatible chartplotter, you can take advantage of patented Garmin Auto Guidance technology. Enter the location where you want to go and Auto Guidance instantly searches through all relevant charts to create and generate a safe path specifically designed for the dimensions of your boat, including draft, beam and height. Auto Guidance provides a visual path that avoids bridges, shallow water, buoys and other obstructions. This allows you to travel to your destination with great peace of mind. But Auto Guidance is even more amazing when it is coupled with a Garmin autopilot system. Engage your compatible autopilot to follow the Auto Guidance route, and it will keep you on route, automatically.

Can you see that you would never even have to look out your window!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jmpeltier

I see the same things as an instructor pilot...too many new pilots are relying on the "superior, flawless technology" rather than honing their skills as a pilot.  Then when the technology fails, they have no skills to fall back on if they're still alive.  I've seen and studied too many aviation accidents to argue otherwise.

I always preach basic aviation as the foundation to being able to use technology as an aid (and only an aid).  I wish more people, including the big corporations, brought that mindset into boating!  They sure are taking advantage of people who don't know any better!
S/V Saoirse
www.jmpeltier.com

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..."

Porter Wayfare

I read a book about sextant use for coastal cruising recently. I was surprised to learn that a celestial sextant fix accuracy of three miles is very good. The book went into using a sextant in other ways for coastal navigation.

But what I remember best was when the author gave some perspective on navigation devices in general. He wrote,  "If you're worried about hitting something you should be up on the bow looking for it."
a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

CharlieJ

'tis said that the charts for the west coast of Baja California are all off by 1.5 miles, because the time piece on USS Ranger, who did the chart survey in the 1800s had a chronometer that was off by 1.5 minutes.

Three miles on an ocean passage is very good. Three miles error approaching an inlet, in heavier weather, is NOT good.

That GPS can show you exactly where you are, within feet. Many charts are still in use which have errors like the above example. Many things are shown charted, in places they are not. Which is why ALL navigating methods tell you to use more than one way. Until ALL charts are finally updated to GPS exactness, which may take YEARS, ya gotta accept the fact that charts may not be right, and get your head OUTTA THE COCKPIT and use your Mark I eyeballs.

Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir here to Sail Far folks aren't I? :D ;D :D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera