Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Working on Necessity

Started by CharlieJ, July 03, 2012, 09:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Finally had some time to work on MY boat :D

Been doing woodwork on other folks boats for a couple months now, plus doing the Texas 200, so Necessity has just sat and waited. It's finally her turn ;D

Necessity is scheduled to splash on Thursday and thereafter, occupy a slip in the marina.

Trailer needs some work, slip is now empty and we're gonna do a short cruise this weekend, SO--

New Ice chest fitted, in place of ancient, no longer made, Coleman. Had to move a dividing bulkhead- new chest was 1 inch too wide! Simple job though.

Not so simple- she now has new (well, new to her) opening ports. They came used from a boat I worked on. Work just fine in Necessity-

The opening port- 

The side of the cabin.. There was no port there before. I like it

She has her old name back, officially-From Necessity, to Unole, then back to Necessity

AND she has a new power plant.. The 1972 6 HP Johnson, that I'd had on three boats, was due for retirement. Necessity is now powered by a 4 HP 4 stroke Yamaha, which weighs just 6 pounds more than the old engine. I love the quietness, and fuel economy of the 4 strokes

Tomorrow she gets a touch up of the bottom paint, and reloading gear and equipment will begin. Looking forward to sailing  on Saturday on a short cruise. May come back Sunday, maybe Monday. Or Tuesday :D

Here she is under sail, some years ago, before I sold her
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruiser2B

Looking good, any pics of ice chest. At some point I will have to redo my ice crest in my Alberg 30. Always like looking at what others do for ideas.
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

CharlieJ

I can shoot one, but it's nothing in particular. It's a 48 quart Igloo, and lives under the folding step entering the cabin. I originally set the space up for a Coleman 48, which had been a standard for years. Then they promptly stopped making it ???

The space, with a half bulkhead across, was 13 inches wide front to back- the new chest was 14 inches, so I cut out the half bulkhead.

I can still stow several gallons of water behind the chest, which was where I did that before.

Found a pic of the space.. No chest in there in the pic.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ntica

CharlieJ

Necessity is wet. History repeating itself.

Posted this, (has pictures) on the Trailer Sailor board. Pics are on their server, so I'll just post a link-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/839499

Gonna spend the next couple of days aboard, on a short cruise. Kind of a shake down.

Think I'm gonna REALLY like that Yamaha
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 06, 2012, 10:16:08 PM
Necessity is wet. History repeating itself.

Posted this, (has pictures) on the Trailer Sailor board. Pics are on their server, so I'll just post a link-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/839499

Gonna spend the next couple of days aboard, on a short cruise. Kind of a shake down.

Think I'm gonna REALLY like that Yamaha

Very cool, CJ.  Excellent.

Reminder, though: When TSBB archives the posts in a month or two, that link will no longer work.  It's one of the more aggravating things about that site.

Any chance you could go ahead and post the pics here, so they don't get lost over time?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Sure- have to do it in two posts though

Thirteen years ago, and today. One difference. But same dock.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

In the slip.. Had to do three posts. The 200 K limit got me
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

By the way- the fore hatch you can see was built by me. The design is called a "Griffiths Hatch", designed years ago by Maurice Griffiths. Opens either direction and so far, has not leaked a drop.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Wow. I like it. Anything special about the design except for the hardware? Maybe I could convert mine?

Jim_ME

Charlie, Good to see Necessity in the water again.

Your improvements look good. That is quite a solid set of mobile stairs and landing.  :)

Fair winds out there.

-Jim

ntica

Looks real nice! do like the pictures!