News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Anti seasickness glasses...

Started by SeaHusky, December 06, 2011, 05:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

Do you think they work or have the french navy been a little to generous on the grog?

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/products/439/sea-sickness-glasses
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Oldrig

Take lots of ginger root: 2 capsules, three times a day, starting 48 hours before you set sail.

(That's the recommendation of a German study. It might work.)

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CharlieJ

OR-

you can get raw Ginger root in most grocery produce sections- it's a gnarly looking thing.

Just slice off a thin slice and stick it between your cheek and gum. has a pleasant tingly spicy flavor.

That was Laura's cure of choice for the last few years. Keeps for months unrefrigerated.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v necessity

Our dog got terribly sea sick on one outing, and we were a couple hours from land.  It had taken us a couple hours to figure out why he was acting funny, but when the glazed over eyes and drool set in we finally figured it out.  We felt horrible for the poor guy.  Finally my wife shoved a couple pieces of ginger chew candy into his mouth.  The transformation was amazing.  We both felt it helped us, but we were not certain, but the effect upon him was remarkable.  (still no idea if dogs should eat ginger though....)  Anyways it convinced us of the effectiveness of ginger.

Oldrig

Sorry to hijack your thread, SeaHusky.

This is turning into a seasickness thread, instead of an anti-seasickness-glasses thread.

Back to ginger: Yes, the root works, but some folks find it too spicy to use raw.

So does eating crystallized ginger (candy), the ginger chews and even a ginger-root tincture (available at vitamin stores).

But the German study asserts that if you start loading your system with ginger before setting out, you are supposed to be less likely to get seasick in the first place.

Does it work? I haven't tried it yet -- but the other ginger concoctions certainly do help, IMHO. And you don't have to walk around looking like something out of a 1960s science-fiction flick.

But anything that works is worth whatever it takes.  So, if you decide to spring for these goggles, let us know. (They're not available in the Western Hemisphere yet, apparently.)

Best,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

SeaHusky

Quote from: Oldrig on December 07, 2011, 11:34:57 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread, SeaHusky.
By all means do!
The glasses were listed on a Swedish site as a Christmas gift idea. At first I thought they were a bit ridiculous but after some thought, I always like the simple and basic solutions, they don't seem that stupid.
The good thing is that they are to be used when you are already feeling sick, when the ginger didn't work, and at that point you don't care how stupid they look. If they work it may be a good safety item to keep at the bottom of a locker just in case...
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.