News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

My little Ship

Started by s/v Faith, November 24, 2011, 10:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Someone asked about the 'boat as an idea' on another forum.

Here is my reply;

I have an accute sense for just how short this life really is.

Partly from the debt I feel to my brothers who did not come home, and partly from my own experience of nearly dieing from leukemia.. I have chosen to live deliberately.

Even taking that stance, I savor the essence of my little ship... at the dock or underway.   Last night, having trouble sleeping, knowing she was waiting for me was in my thoughts... a great comfort.

I remember once when I was really sick... had not slept in a few days, my wife took me down to my little ship and I climbed aboard.  She rocked me to a deep and peacful sleep even though I was not able to free her from her dock lines that held her fast.

Now I sail her, and other boats (I make deliveries).... I love those boats, but Faith is always the one I dream about.  I have a (delivery) trip planned in a month or so... one in March, another (charter Capt.) in May.
The time I spend planning these trips, the mental exercise of figuring out where I will go, what I will need, what weather I will likely encounter... they are all part of the experience for me.

I savor every part.  Even the part I like least (leaving a boat at the end) makes me just that much more of the significance of every moment.

My life is better for the fact that I sail, and my little ship has more value then ANY insurance policy will ever reflect.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Wonderful holiday thoughts, Happy Thanksgiving
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Jim_ME

Craig, Wishing you continued good health.

What you've written is, as Tim wrote, wonderful. Reading what you wrote about your work delivering boats reminded me of the lyrics to a song with a line...

"What can you do with your days but work & hope
Let your dreams bind your work to your play"

I looked it up and found the title--which I had forgotten--was very appropriate for today... Thanksgiving Eve by Bob Franke

For we here, that love to sail, we might just as well sometimes change the rest of the chorus lyric to...

"What can you do with each moment of your life
But sail til you've sailed it away
Sail til you've sailed it away"

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Rose--and to all.

Tim

Perfect Jim, grogs for the both of you
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

Very moving, hope you had a very good thanksgiving
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Oldrig

Inspirational posts. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

ntica

beautiful spoken. Each day is important.