News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Started by Cruise, December 14, 2011, 03:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruise

5200 truly is the devil's glue. I would never use the stuff again except for the fact that I know that if I use it properly it is 100% effective.
  I had a stanchion break and had it re-welded a couple of days ago, and today I re-installed it.
  I took great care in having everything I needed and everything else out of the way. I wore an old long-sleeve shirt that I could tuck my hands into as I had to go repeatedly down below to put a vise-grip on each nut to hold it in place as I tightened the screws on deck.
  I put an old phone book under the backing plate in case the vise-grips slipped or in case any gobs of the devil's glue dropped. (Using an old phone book is great because I can just rip pages out if any gets on there).
  I had a pile of napkins within reach, and I turned the cell phone off and put it out of sight.
  All-in-all it went very well. I got no devil's glue on my dodger or cushions in the cabin. Sure some got on my tools, but that's a given. The biggest problem that I had was due to the fact that I drank 3 glasses of iced tea at lunch right before I tackled the project and forgot to use the bathroom before I started. Oh well! I'd rather have a little 5200 down there than on my dodger. Maybe I should consider some Depends as a future part of my 5200 kit.

Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Captain Smollett

Paint thinner works well to clean 5200 from tools and hands before it cures.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Something  even better. And cheaper.

Plain old rubbing alcohol washes 5200 of very neatly. We use a roll of TP and wipe edges etc where it squeezes out. Wipe an edge wifh a couple of wet squares, discard,  repeat.   Also cleans hands.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera