Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Masthead block for a spinnaker halyard

Started by gregorygraham, January 02, 2012, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregorygraham

Happy New Year all,

I'm thinking of what I want to do to my boat for the spring.  Project numero uno is rigging the boat properly to enable the flying of a spinnaker (symmetrical).  I have a symmetrical spinnaker and the ring bolted to the front of  the mast to attach a spinnaker pole, but I have no spinnaker pole and no block on the top of the mast through which to run a spinnaker halyard.  I have blocks on the front of the mast about 1/3 from the top and near the foot of the mast (uphaul and downhaul?).  I've done some sourcing of spinnaker poles and I think I know what should work for my boat.  I haven't been able to find a suitable used one unfortunately.

Now that my mast is down and lying on the mast rack for the winter, I've been able to closely inspect it.  Here are three shots of the top of the mast. 

There appears to be a hole in the front of the masthead to permit the placement of a spinnaker block (or so it seems to me).  Any suggestions about what sort of a block to use would be greatly appreciated.  My boat is a 24'7" LOA masthead rig bermuda sloop.

I've got other questions, such as what sort of blocks to use for the spinnaker sheets (guys), etc.  But I thought I'd start with the top of the mast, which is usually inaccessible.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Sailing Vessel "Magy Mae"

rorik

I have a mix of Garhauer and Ronstan.
I have this block for the topping lift and whisker pole lift.
http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF69100
My Code Zero is free flying on the jib halyard.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

gregorygraham

Thanks for the input Rorik.  Just out of interest, and with respect to your topping lift, do you run the halyard for the topping lift back to the cockpit or do you tie it off on a cleat at the bottom of the mast?  At present, I've just got a dead wire topping lift that I clip to the back stay when not in use.
Gregory Graham
Toronto

Oldrig

Gregory,

If you want to keep your wire topping lift and still get some adjustability, you might look at installing a small block (looks like a vang) at the end of the boom. I know that Sailcare sells such a setup (http://www.sailcare.com/toppingliftkit.shtml).

Just a thought.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

gregorygraham

Gregory Graham
Toronto