News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Another windvane thread...weight related

Started by w00dy, January 23, 2011, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

I only know what I have read but Olle Landsell says, in his book about singlehanding from sweden to the west indies and back in a 20' "Havsfidra",
"Buy the best windvane you can find. If you can't afford it, stay home another year and save up more money!"

I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

ntica

My favorit book! still on it's shelf! As I mentioned I will try the Steersman so...
How are things seahusky?

SeaHusky

Quote from: ntica on December 02, 2011, 01:09:20 PM
My favorite book! still on it's shelf! As I mentioned I will try the Steersman so...
This was the book that also got me dreaming about "sailfar" when I was a teenager!  ;)
Maybe I should have elaborated on my previous post.
My opinion is that (if the steersman is not satisfactory) although it may feel funny to pay the same for a windvane as you did for the boat this is not the place to be cheap. Like when I am in the mountains and a storm hits, I am sooo glad that I bought the best, strongest tent that is for sale and not just a good one!
QuoteHow are things seahusky?
Thanks for asking!
I plan to finally get my feet wet on sunday. I will report back here how it goes.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

ntica

I was checking out the Norvane selfsteer, looks like a fine piece of gear for a resonable price. and well tested. (yes I', still into the windvane, if the Steersman  isn't realiable?!)
I have recived many thoughts about the steersman and well over 80% saes it donsn't work good enough for longer cruisng, go to sleep and leave it alone etc...worries me. Have to get a trust worhty steersman!
For the DIY here's a good german link.
http://www.windautopilot.de/_de/0_prod/allg.html

ntica

Found this exellent site selfsteering gear and sheet to tiller. explains it all?!

http://sites.google.com/site/crisflopt/navegacao/self-steerling

Rick Westlake

Quote from: ntica on November 23, 2011, 01:29:29 AM
Phil. will check this one up! thanx!
anyone live near by "Annapolis"???
I live within fifty miles of Annapolis, MD, and I keep my Bristol 29.9 on the West River, a little south of Annapolis.  Shoot me a PM; I plan to be much more active on SailFar in 2012 and after.

JWalker

ntica, grog for that site!