News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

HF Weather Broadcast Schedule(s)

Started by Captain Smollett, January 04, 2012, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I find the published broadcast schedules for shortwave ssb weather products to be hard to follow and organize my wx collection strategy underway.  They are listed by broadcast station and product; I wanted a schedule organized first by time of day.  This would give me "at a glance" idea about what was available.

So, I composed the following schedule (posted in PDF format) sorted by Time of Day (UTC).  Carrier frequencies are given in the list, but note that all of these are USB.

Also, I've only included here wx 'products' that I use - notably absent are: wind/wave and 500 MB products.  The latter can be very useful for those that know how to use them; I don't.

Also, this one is for the North Atlantic Ocean and lists only US based broadcasts.  It should be good for anyone cruising the Atlantic, including Bermuda, the Bahamas and Caribbean.  I may add others later, and of course, other sailfar-ers are welcome to post additional schedules for other regions.

Edit: Re-uploaded due to a minor typo...a Test Pattern was listed as 18:05 that should have been 18:00.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

And, though it took a while to figure this one out, rather than continually jumping through mental gyrations between Eastern Standard (or Daylight) TIme and UTC  ...

I finally just set the clock on my ssb receiver to UTC.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Wow, that is GREAT John.  Thanks for doing that.  ;D

Any way you could add a few of the other useful broadcasts (Herb... Cruisers net... etc.) on page 3?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on January 11, 2012, 12:48:07 AM

Wow, that is GREAT John.  Thanks for doing that.  ;D

Any way you could add a few of the other useful broadcasts (Herb... Cruisers net... etc.) on page 3?

Yeah, I could do that.  I was planning to do other 'ocean basins,' too. 

I'll probably do them as separate files, though.  I like that this one was only two pages..it fit on a single sheet printed on both sides, and I laminated it for use on the boat.

I'm also working on my technique of extracting useful info from the 24 and 48 hour surface forecasts.  I have a very simplistic system I'm using, and I'm just collecting enough daily data to see how good it is.  When I know, I'll post that as well.  It will probably be at the end of the month.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina