News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

FREE BOAT - Dickerson 33 ketch

Started by Seadogdave, January 17, 2012, 06:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seadogdave

Our marina manager (near Urbanna, VA.)  recently hauled out a very neglected but sound Dickerson 33 ketch, built in 1963 in Cambridge, MD..  Dickerson Yachts are known on the Chesapeake Bay for quality wooden mahogany boats.  He will happily give this vessel away and hopes to find a new owner.  It has beautiful lines with a full keel - great potential.  The hull appears to be basically sound.  I struggled hard about whether to take on another boat, but I'm spread too thin with all of my existing projects and my Catalina 27.  Anyway, it will soon be heading to sailboat heaven.  In fact, the demolition may have already started!
Seadogdave

w00dy

My first boat was a wooden Dickerson ketch. Strip planked mahogany on white oak frames, with a full keel and beautiful round hull-form, designed by Ernie Tucker. We rebuilt her and cruised down the east coast until I ran out of money and gave up on her, selling her in North Carolina. Still, I have fond memories of that boat and sometimes wish I could sail her again. The whole restoration and ensuing "adventure" can be found on my blog, here:

http://peanutbutterdiet.blogspot.com/p/boatwork.html

and here:

http://peanutbutterdiet.blogspot.com/p/sailing-adventures.html

Anyway, I'm guess this is the older, hard-chine version, designed by Charles Wittholtz. I have a good friend up on the "Bay" who has one of these original boats, which I just finished helping to shore up for the winter. If you're considering one of these boats, be sure to check the frames and gussets at the chine. My friend's boat was stretching downward and the bottom was trying to fall out of it. We spent several days reinforcing the chine with new fasteners and gussets.

Although some of the later Dickersons were known for their luxurious qualities, my boat (and the earlier ones) were probably best characterized by their simple and affordable design. She was no Hinkley, but was still a boat to be proud of.

silverhand69

Only those who see the invisible can do the impossible