News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailering a boat with 9'6" beam

Started by John Bailey, January 19, 2012, 01:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Bailey

I known that the legal limit in most states is 8'6" to trailer boats.  Does anyone know what would have to be done to trailer a boat 20 miles or so for the seasonal put in and take out.  It would be nice to have the boat home for the winter to more easily work on it.

Thanks,

John

s/v necessity

Are you asking what is normally done?  Or what would need to be done to be legal....

To be legal I think (you will have to confirm with your local agencies) it is a simple matter of having proof of insurance (specifically for towing your load) and then putting in a request or submitting your route plan and giving a date for when you will be on that route.  Then it's my understanding that you will be issued a permit. A call to your local department of transportation would probably get you the most solid answer.

John Bailey

I was looking for things like what kind of signs or flags I had to have.

John

tomwatt

Depending upon your route (the roads traveled), you may be required to get a permit. And I suspect an "oversize load" banner across the back at minimum. If you're only going 20 miles or so, I'd bet you will only be involved with local/community governmental bodies.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

JWalker

I believe it is state dependent.

in Tn I was able to get a seasonal permit to haul up to 10 foot wide all I wanted.

I didnt need signs or pilot car or any of that.

When we hauled through GA, we had to get a permit, again nothing other than having the permit...no signs ect.
we had a 9 foot beam on that boat. but I think it covered up to 10.

Leroy - Gulf 29

FWIW... I did the same research in MT.  My Gulf is in the same situation.  You need to get either an annual permit, or a one trip permit, have proof of insurance, and use "Oversize Load" banners.  I do not believe you are restricted to daytime only.  Odds are, you will not get stopped just towing it, without the proper papers.  I don't think the DOT will pull you over to measure the width, especially if not commercial.  If you are in an accident, then it will come into play, and you know how nice the legal profession is.