News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

In the yard

Started by Cruise, May 12, 2012, 05:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruise

It's a necessary evil, but it has to be done on occasion.
  My boat is in the yard where I am painting the bottom and taking care of some other minor projects. I can't wait to get her splashed and get back to cruising.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
1962 Allied Seawind 30' Ketch, hull # 16
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith
link to Keith's Memorial thread.

Cruiser2B

Good luck with getting all the work done and getting her back the water ASAP.

www.svsalacia.blogspot.com
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

w00dy

Nothing scarier than seeing your boat suspended high above the ground like that. Kind of like someone dangling your baby in their arms.

Jim_ME

When I first helped the yard lift my former 30 footer out of the water, we used a dinghy to go in beside the keel and tie a line between the lift straps to keep the forward one from slipping up the bow.  

It was scary to be under the boat in the slings and thinking...okay so we need the line to keep it from slipping out of the slings, but what is keeping it from slipping out now...?

Guess that it was that it was more likely to slip without the safety line while the travel lift was moving it (around the yard). Still not a relaxing place to hang out for long...

Recalling one of Newton's laws, paraphrased...

"Things that are big and heavy but unsupported like to fall to the Earth."

:)

ntica

Nice looking boat. what mod? and good luck with everything.

Cruise

Thanks y'all.I left my boat for a couple of weeks to visit family away from the coast, but when I get back to her she should be in the water in 3 days. Living aboard while in the yard really stinks.
Ntica, she is a 30' Allied Seawind.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

w00dy

I dunno. I always liked it and thought of it as living in a tree house boat.

Then again, going to sleep with fiberglass dust in your bed is never fun.  :-\

Worse still is the $35 a day "layday" rate. Hope you get back in the water soon enough!

jmpeltier

I'll be joining you soon, hauling out my Orion for a tiller conversion, new rigging, hatches, paint, etc...probably 2 months or so on the hard.  As painful as that is, what makes it worse is that she's my home!  The first thing I thought about too was the "treehouse boat", especially since she'll be at Sam's way up in Broad Creek, in the middle of the woods.  Hope you get her back in the water quickly!
S/V Saoirse
www.jmpeltier.com

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..."

Cruise

I'm still away from my boat. This living on land takes some getting used to  :-\ . It's been a good visit with family, but boy am I ready to get home and get floating. I should be back in the water about Wednesday, May 30.
I am at a boatyard north of Calabash,NC called Tripp's Marina.The haul-out (with pressure wash, blocking, and re-launch) was $10/ft the yard rate is only 50 cents/day, so that's not too bad, and it is directly off the ICW.
See y'all on the water.
     Keith
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

s/v Faith

Eileen Quinn has a great song, "Life on the Hard" about this very thing...

... hand in there.  You will get through it!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cruise

I saw Eileen Quinn singing at a tiki bar in the Keys many years ago. I even bought one of her cassettes.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

w00dy

Never heard of her, but I found her website. How's the music? Pretty good, or just novel?

Cruise

Eileen Quinn is pretty good. I really liked her performance and admired her way of supporting her cruising life.
I've been back in the water for a while now, thankfully.
I'm sitting in Beaufort waiting for the tide to turn to go out to Cape Lookout. After that; Oriental, Ocracoke, then the Chesapeake.
Hope to see y'all on the water. (I'm the one with fresh bottom paint!)
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

Cruiser2B

its a nice trip back to the Chesapeake, if you're in Norfolk and need a ride or assistance dont hestitate to ask. Also so if you want to just have a beer, nice small anchorage in Little Creek inlet and The Cutty Sark yard has a great bar and food.

Have a great journey!

Cruise

Funny you should mention the anchorage at Little Creek. My brother lives in a condo right there. I'll definitely be stopping by the Cutty bar.
Cruising aboard S/V Saga
www.CarolinaKeith.com

Rest in Peace, Keith

Cruiser2B

Had a burger at the cutty today. I was down there working on my boat. Send me a note or PM when you get this way. I'd like to get a beer at the Sark