Getting/keeping a boat at the destination instead of sailing/trailering there

Started by Jim_ME, February 06, 2012, 02:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Paul, That is an interesting boat. I enjoy seeing how different places have their own design approach. This boat has an unusual cabin trunk with a relatively small area at the tallest height (Assume to provide some standing headroom just inside the companionway, perhaps at the galley area), with trapezoidal portlights that match in a different kind of way. A deep cockpit with high molded-in combings, no companionway hatch in the continuous cabin trunk roof, but (probably as a result, to get the opening height needed) no bridge deck at the companionway. Interesting metal boom/mast crutch, and long bow pulpit rail that extends way back along the deck. Even the (tricycle) yard trailer/cradle, with steerable nose wheels tied to the the trailer tongue.

JW, That boat swap arrangement seems ideal in many ways. For me, that would be another advantage of a modest sized boat. If you do not have that much invested in the boat, it seems like it is much easier to share it, even the wort-case scenario of a total loss may not be that big a financial blow, compared to a large expensive boat that may represent one`s life savings--or a substantial portion of it.         

Jim_ME

Paul, Thanks for the link to the Sturgeon 22 sailboat. Its cabin trunk reminds me of the Rhodes Meridian 25. Nice bridge deck design.

I also like the Westerly Nomad 22  as a design that maximizes interior space. It has a full width cabin trunk (much like a raised deck) with 6-foot standing headroom and spacious sitting headroom. May not be the sleekest design ever created, nor ideal for offshore work, but might be a good coastal and canal boat with so much room in a 22-foot/3100 lb boat with 2.25-foot draft and triple keel for drying out.

David_Old_Jersey

I think you have summarised the position / performance pretty well.

But just to add, the Westerly 22 (later renamed the Nomad) was available with either a sloop or Gunter rig - the former being a better performer (although that a relative term!) but the Gunter has the advantage of a smaller mast that is also more easily lowered by self (without a crane) useful if venturing inland, abeit both not exactly difficult.

They also came as either o/b or i/b powered.

Although not litterally bulletproof, given the layup Westerly used (back in the days of more is better) and no hull core she is as near as! The good news is that they built a lot, so usually a few for sale - in varying conditions.

They also built the Westerly 25 (later renamed the Windrush) pretty much the same but 3 feet bigger!

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3227

Captain Smollett

Looking back over this thread reminds me of a business idea I had a while back.

Think of it as a 'long term charter' or lease arrangement.

Most charters as I think of them are for a week or two, or something in that ballpark.  I'm thinking a year or two.

Essentially, here's the deal.  Let's say I own a boat in a 'cruising friendly' region.  My idea was to 'lease' the boat out for a year, 18 months, 2 years, whatever, at a cost less than the purchase price of a similar boat.

There are a lot of details in how to make this work and protect the customer, yada yada, but that's the gist.  Rather than the hassle of finding and purchasing (and the paperwork of transferring ownership, etc) of boat in the destination area, say the Med, one would merely have to 'lease' a read-to-go boat (similar to a barebones charter).

Then at the end of your 'cruise,' no hassles with selling...

Or, I don't know, maybe long term charters like this are commonplace and I've just never noticed?

The idea first came to me in regard to ocean crossing...saving 'adventurers' the time and cost of outfitting a boat (which I believe is an important part of the process, but some are are going to 'buy the adventure' anyway, so why not cash in on it).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

David_Old_Jersey

I think your idea has some merit - for me the biggest fly in the ointment is that some Punters will be numpties (IME it is a question of when not if).....and indeed the target market is probably going to largely be those without the knowledge to sort out own boat, even if that wrapped up with insufficient time - and if don't know enough to sort out own boat from the getgo, not well equipped to keep ontop of maintanence - except after things have gone broke.

I would favour a guaranteed buy back figure (boat cost / value - which can be a "full" price) less the "Charter Fee" and with a sale agreement already in place (ideally giving you some option either to NOT to buy back or to do so for peanuts on the dollar, if the boat has been trashed) - All subject to boat survey at both start of the deal and at the end (and possibly also annually?!) - on both the vessel itself and all the equipment. The deal being that the Temporary Owner pays for all maintanence / consumables / wear & tear items - and anything major that is uninsured (say an engine going pop) - gets split 50 / 50, in practice deducted from the buy back figure.

The downside is that folks will still need to come up with the initial boat capital (which can be borrowed), but they will have far more certainty on the total costs than going solo (plus the time saving before setting off and a quick exit at the end of the voyage). But that may be no bad thing as may prevent those who have more dreams than cash ending up trashing the boat, even if unintentionally......and if someone does decided to sail off into the sunset with "your" boat, you at least have the cash in the bank!

JWalker

Interesting Idea capt s.

I would also think that 3 months would be a good duration...

Especially if the boat needs to come back to the same place (home port)

base in south florida, and charter for cruises in the bahamas and keys....

i would think many people may be able to take off for that kinda timeframe....but the cost of purchase and outfitting a boat
may be prohibitive....

seems to me that many, unlike us on SF, see cruising as a once in a lifetime bucketlist sort of thing.

Others may like the idea to see if they really like cruising without having to purchase and outfit.

I believe this idea has merit!

+1 grog for ya!  ;D

SeaHusky

Flipping the map around, are there any good sites where I can browse for weekenders and pocket cruisers for sale in or near the Bahamas?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.