News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Seacocks and seabirths?

Started by SeaHusky, February 14, 2012, 04:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

I have a couple of thoughts about things that could be done simpler (more KISS). As I am inexperienced there may be a simple explanation but it eludes me.
Seacocks are necessary to drain the cockpit but if they fail the have the ability to sink the boat. Therefore they are fitted with closable valves and need attention.
Why not just install a stainless or brass pipe and glass it firmly to a bulkhead or the hull in a way so that it can not fail before the hull does?
In heavy weather a seabirth is needeed for the person not on watch to get some rest and it needs to work when heeling to either side. If you are a crew of only two, why not just put the cushions down on the floor between the births and sleep there? It should be the place with the least movement, support on all sides and will give you an early warning if you are taking in water...
Just some thoughts. ???
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

s/v Faith

Good thoughts both.

The original cockpit drains on many boats DO come as glass tubes that exit the hull with no valves.  My boat was like this when it was built, and a prior owner changed it over.  The reason I think people do this is to have some sort of built in method to close the opening in the event of a hose failure.... a not-too-common problem if you are using the right hose and the right clamps....

... Sleeping on the cockpit sole, cabin sole, or any other available surface are excellent options.  I have a crew member who regularly experiments with this, and he says your idea is a great one.

An experiment in progress;
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

On the delivery I did last year- Rockport Tx to Isla Mujeres. Six days on the wind into 24-26 knot winds. One of us slept on the sole all the time. The boat only had one good sea berth on each side, so the second off watch had to use the sole.

Quite comfortable too.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

The only issue I can think of with having a hard tube directly connected to the hull and to the cockpit is that with hull flex the cockpit and hull might not move exactly together opening up the possibility for cracks in the tube.

A flexible tube connecting the two helps take the strain.  If all is kept above the waterline, it is probably reasonably safe, if not completely ideal, without a seacock. In fact, that is exactly how Godot is set up (even if there was a seacock, it would be very difficult to access...I replaced the line, once, and it was difficult and painful).

I've slept on the cabin sole while offshore (not on Godot...the geometry of the cabin makes it an undesirable option here), and found it to be at least as comfortable as the settee...at least until the thermarest inflatable mattress I was using sprung a leak.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

SeaHusky

Quote from: Godot on February 14, 2012, 11:59:27 AM
The only issue I can think of with having a hard tube directly connected to the hull and to the cockpit is that with hull flex the cockpit and hull might not move exactly together opening up the possibility for cracks in the tube.
And there is probably the correct answer!
Thanks!
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

CharlieJ

Tehani has two hard tubes from cockpit to hull, exiting under her
Counter. I made 'em and they are 1/4 inch thick glass. Doubt they'll give any trouble
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Seafarer

The best drains are above the waterline. Fewer holes in the bottom and less likely to be fouled. I'll be converting some seat drains in Starquest to exit out the sides of the hull. Currently they combine with other drains, whos valves are closed anyway.

The Island Packet has through-hull cockpit drains with valves on them. The sole slopes forwards and the drains are in each forward corner. At some point I will rip the cockpit out and make a more useful one that slopes aft and drains straight through a large pair of holes in the transom (and the outboard opening).

mitiempo

I have 2 cockpit drains located at the midway point in the footwell and they are slow. I will be glassing in a tube through the transom, probably about 3" and keeping the original 2. I think only 1 through the transom will be fine as the originals can deal with whatever is left.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.